Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWR/Wattmeters  (Read 660 times)
KA4AQM

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »

I have a TS-830S w/o amp (100 watts barefoot). Would be interested in hearing the name and reocmmendation of a very good SWR/wattmeter that other hams use with similar HF equipment! Tell me your recommendation. KA4AQM@cox.net
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:58:17 AM »

Autek WM-1
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:06:07 AM »

Diamond
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:07:10 AM »

PowerMaster.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:22:58 AM »

I really liked my Autek WM-1 but the meters weren't lighted and my shack is pretty much dark during night operations.  I returned it.  Recently, they added meter lighting to it.  It's one of the best I've used, so I'd highly recommend it now.

Isn't it wierd how the lack of some little feature can make you turn sour on a very good product.  Go figure.

Terry, WØFM
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »

Bird 43
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »

Whatever the choice, I prefer Peak Reading.  

Bird with Peak Reading kit installed.  

Electronic Peak Reading with bargraph LEDs.

Etc.  

But you can do fine with one of those cross needle meters.  

KE3WD
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »

Consider getting a manual antenna tuner with a cross-needle meter built-in.  This can solve multiple problems.  If you do, make sure it has a dummy load in it also, since you are working with tube finals.

-Mike.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 09:57:10 AM »

>RE: SWR/Wattmeters  Reply  
by W0FM on August 17, 2007  Mail this to a friend!  
I really liked my Autek WM-1 but the meters weren't lighted and my shack is pretty much dark during night operations. I returned it. Recently, they added meter lighting to it. It's one of the best I've used, so I'd highly recommend it now.<

::There's really nothing else on the market like it.  The WM-1 accurately displays PEP output if you send one "dit" of CW at 30 wpm.  And it continuously displays SWR on a separate meter, also for one dit of CW, one finger snap in front of the microphone, or for a continuous carrier, doesn't matter.  The Ameritron cross-needle PEP meter is pretty good also, but the Autek is much easier to read, especially from a little distance.  

I have two Bird 43Ps which are PEP meters and of course very versatile but don't read SWR worth a damn (unless you have two, installed in opposite directions on the same line -- and then you have to calculate SWR, since the Bird doesn't display it) and they're not backlighted, either.  The WM-1 for HF work is the most useful meter I've ever owned.

WB2WIK/6
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »

The Alpha 4510 and 4520 will read VSWR with a single “dit” at 5 KW or 5 mW. At the same time it will give you PEP or average at the same time and is as accurate at 50 mW as 5 KW. The meter is large and you get a (true meter movement) analog as well as a digital reading at the same time. RS-232 output for your computer

No it is not cheap. Quality and lifetime factory support never is cheap. This meter is not a toy. The heavy die cast chassis meets all FCC part 15 requirements which many microprocessor units do not.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »

There were many good name brands mentioned above.  And one almost manditory suggestion--peak power reading along with RMS or average power readings.

Whichever one you get I strongly recommend a cross needle meter model.  

At one glance you see forward power, reflected power and SWR.  On most cross needle models you do not have to set the meter.  Most meters are self setting.

Of course the best one would be a digital meter if you could find one at a reasonable price.  As mentioned above PEP ability preferred.

N5LRZ
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 11:32:41 AM »

Also in the "not cheap but worth it" category is my recently aquired LP-100.  This very versatile meter can, very accurately, give just about any information you'll need, with the possible exception of the present Cards/Cubs score.

Terry, WØFM
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »

Autek WM-1 Period/End of Discussion.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 12:49:34 PM »

I like a dual cross needle meter. I have several different ones from an MFJ 815B to diawas.  I also have dual crossed needele meters in my LDG tuners.  

I like the dual needles because one reads foward, one reads reverse power and where the cross is the SWR.  if you ever get an amp you need to tune, you don't what to do the old push in an set pull out and read routine.

These may not be accurate to 5% but they are close enough. and the big reason to use them is to instantly see if you have an antenna problem and not burn up radios.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 04:44:28 PM »

Autek WM-1
Nothing better for any price!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: