Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio=Very Expensive Cell Phone  (Read 2381 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »

I used to be on the CB band and upgraded to ham in 1978. I am not saying you won't hear a bit of foul language on ham radio, but not nearly as much. and if they get caught they can loose their ticket and pay a fine or worse.

I have a FT 857 in my car with an autotuning antenna and I can play 2 meter repeaters , 440 mhz repeaters, and such.  I can also work sideband on those  frequencies whild mobile and the radio does 6 meters, and 10-160 meters. So on a long trip I can talk to folks in new zeland, russia, or south america, while cruising down the freeway.

there is also digital modes, like mpsk31 and rtty which you use with the sound card in your computer, amateur television, emergency services,  cw and much more.  some folks talk to the space station and some folks do moon bounce. some folks build their own radios, antennas and power supplies.  some folks do QRP which is low power, less than a cb, others use legal limit , which is 1500 watts on most all bands but a few.

go to  ARRL.ORG and in the upper left click on exams, type in your zip code and hit enter. this will bring up a list of ham tests in your local area.  most of these are sponsered by a ham club. they all have a contact person and phone number. call and ask about  the next meeting, for an elmer , how do I ....

some one will take you under their wing.  Please gice it a shot, and also try to learn the code (CW) its a great moder (G4FON.net is a good site) and you can do ham radio for your entire life. it is a good service to be in.

good luck and have fun
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 08:33:47 PM »

Just to answer a question that was posed.
radio is FT857D
Antenna is Tarheel 300
power is 100W max (a linear is coming)
Vehicle is Freightliner Century class big rig

I am working on making a few different antennas and equipment to test out. I am starting with the petlowany dipole. I think it would be a fun little project. I am trying to find a day when I can build it and take photos at the same time to post on my web site.
I also want to make a loop antenna but I haven't decided on the type yet.
One other thing I have in the planning stages is a collapsable spider web log periodic. I have heard about these and I think one could be built that could break down and fit inside a duffel bag.
I also want to make a crank up telescopic mast that will hoist to around 30 feet and mount on the back of my truck.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »

>>>petlowany dipole

I, and I'm sure others, will be very interested in your experience with this antenna.  To my untrained eye, it looks about as efficient as a rubber-duck, but I'm not the brightest bulb on the string WRT antenna design so what do I know?

I metioned before the BuddiPole - a good compact option down to 40 if you don't want to go home-brew all the way.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 07:38:33 PM »

When I have the money I will be getting me a budipole, till then, the $30 homebrew option is the only way I can go. Money is tight right now.
For all who haven't unsubscribed to this thread, I would like to sked. a QSO/Elmer session for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week 8/28 - 8/30, from 6pm-7pm Central time. Do a little rag chew, exchange some tips and help me tune up my rig so you don't hear me whine anymore Smiley
I would like to do it on 20 meters around 14.300. I will be there all three nights unless something keeps me off.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 10:22:55 PM »

Sounds like fun - although that might be the marine net frequency/time [I'm not sure] but I'll try and be around for a listen at least once.

Two non-critical housekeeping items:

Typically you would note if you shift up or down if that frequency is occupied. so you might say 14.300 or up.

The time noted is why Amateurs use Zulu or GMT time - I'm on the west coast so I've got to convert twice, once to PDT then to GMT [sorry, I've always hated 'zulu' time, even in my pilot days].  Since I have a dual time zone watch, I always know Zulu and have started to think in it.

I'm hoping you get a gangbusters reponse.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 11:04:21 PM »

O.K., I guess it would be 00:00 UTC right? 14.300. If that is being used, shift down to 14.100
I am still learning protocol.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 05:35:12 AM »

Shawn -

Assuming the state you are in observes Daylight Savings Time, 6 pm Central Time (really Central Daylight Time) is really 2300z.

And as for the "shift" that was referred to, that's typically not an alternate frequency. It's a direction to tune if there's already a QSO on the specified frequency. So 14.300+ would mean "start tuning at 14.300, and tune up until you find me/us." Typically one would not be more that 10 or 15 kHz away (up to about 14.315), unless it's a contest weekend.

And before someone really criticizes you, please make sure you understand the band edges. Unless your suggestion of 14.100 was a typo, you should realize that frequency is not in the phone bands--only CW, RTTY, and other data modes are permitted (in the US) on that frequency.

Steve
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 11:25:40 AM »

Shawn
Can you email me at glenf@alltel.net ?
Would like to do a sked on 40M maybe 5:30 CDT on 7178?
Glen
WT0A
W0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »

Shawn, please e-mail me also if you get the chance, I also drive for a living.

Steve
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: