Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 626 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »

I am going to get a new handheld and I am thinking of gettig a VX-6R or the IC-91A which one would be the best choice. Or should I be looking at somthing else? Thanks
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »

How much do you know about each radio?

Here is link from the AES website for each one:

http://www.aesham.com/display_pages/ic91a.shtml
http://www.aesham.com/display_pages/vx6r.shtml

The Icom costs $330.00 and the Yaesu costs $250.00. Is money a deciding factor for you?

No one can make the decision for you because no one knows what your financial status is (and we don't really need to know!) or what your interests are.

A little more information would be helpful.

Scott N0IU
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 06:40:20 PM »

Along with additional info..
Will this be your first radio? - Your only radio?
An addition to your equipment?

If it is your first and only radio I would recommend you seriously reconsider. Handhelds are fine..but they have some very real limitations. You might be much better off to consider a mobile transceiver which can also be used as a station rig.

Welcome aboard..ham radio is fun.
Paul/W6VPS
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:31:40 PM »

When I'm thinking about a new radio of any kind, first place I go is the website for each manufacturer, locate the downloads page, manuals and download the .pdf manual for each one.  

Then I google up as many reviews or other websites that might mention the models, too.  There will always be some reports of problems, considering the number of hams out there, but if I start to see a TREND about a particular service problem or the like with a certain model, that raises eyebrows and often helps weight decisions.  

Sometimes ham radio magazines such as QST will have reviews of the rigs in question also.  

Pot of coffee, a little free time and check those manuals and such out.  

Only YOU can decide if all the features, etc. will meet your needs, expectations and abilities.  

KE3WD
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 10:50:09 PM »

A big decision to make is if you really need a "big" full 5 watt full feature hand held, Or if you can get by with one of the little "shirt pocket" size like the Yaesu VX-2........
A "Given" is that any hand held should be dual band (VHF and UHF)

As mentioned, IF the hand held is your only radio, You will be shortchanging yourself on lots of chances to talk........

I would MUCH rather have a little flea power shirt pocket radio like the VX-2 (That by the way is also a great scanner receiver that hears a LOT!)  AND have a nice mobil/base radio like the Yaesu FT 8800 that can act as a cross band repeater.   (So your little shirt pocket radio can talk out through the 8800 at more than 5 watts, And from a much better antenna, For LOTS more range than the "full power" 5 watt hand held & rubber duck antenna could ever think of doing........

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:02:23 AM »

Decisions concerning HT size and power should be weighted by your location, repeater distances, etc. too.  

Shirt pocket mini HT may be fine in an urban area with many repeaters up high, may prove useless in a rural environment or area where it takes just a little more to get into your "local" repeaters.  

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:11:36 AM »

FYI -- I've gotten super deals on many HTs over the years because of a rather common assumption about them.  

Every one of them needed the RF output finals replaced.  

Why?

Because the HT is basically an intermittant duty transmitter when used at its High Power settings.  

Also, most of the ones that tout higher output power levels will put out even more power when attached to an offboard power supply delivering 13.8VDC to their jacks.  

So the Ham buys an HT, wanting an "all around" radio, then buys an AC power supply.  What usually follows is an outdoor antenna of some sort, maybe the ubiuitous J-Pole.  

Then come the long QSOs sitting comfortably in the shack, while the poor little finals in the radio begin heating, because they are running full power into that antenna to sound like a true "base station" or be full quieting into that rather distant repeater gabfest or the like.  

RF finals don't always die all at once.  

Because of the way many are made internally, output power due to overheat happens gradually over time.  

One day, radio doesn't have enough output to get into the repeater, Hamateur gets long face and then brings it to a Service Shop or ships it.  Finds out repair cost and face drops even longer.  Can't put that kind of money into a @#^ HT that didn't cost much more than the repair, he sez, and then proceeds to blame the mfr of the HT, moving right along to buy the next radio.  

At the end of summer hamfest, along comes KE3WD.  

"How much?"

"No, but I'll give ya $XX"

KE3WD installs new finals, checks out and cleans HT, puts same on his hamfest table with pricetag to suit.  

Consider carefully what your goals and operating habits really will be.  

You can run an HT forever at lower power levels, get the gain from a good antenna instead of from heat.  A three-element 2 meter yagi on a TV rotator just may do the trick and then some, at the 2W output level.  Or consider a vertical antenna that has some gain to it.  

--KE3WD
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:43:57 PM »

vx6r
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: