Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-940 Erratic operation  (Read 521 times)
N6YMZ

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »

I have a TS-940SAT and when I turned it on sometimes it works fine and then all of a sudden the display starts going wacky and it starts beeping and other lights on the panel light up static.  I then power it off and hold the A=B key and power up to reset the processor and it comes back to life again, then all of a sudden it goes again wacky.  It seems like if I let it warm up it does not have this problem.  I just got this rig used and of course AS IS and now I'm down!!  Please any help would be appreciated!

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:48 AM »

Cold Solder Joints.  

Most times blanket careful resolder of the offending board effects the cure.  

KE3WD
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:36:16 AM »

Not that it cures the problem but I had similar erractic behavior with one of my 520s's(?). So I left it on  til I got a back up and sent it off for repairs. Dont recall what the problem was. Doesnt matter, they are very different rigs but I was still on the air.

KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »

Have you checked/changed the two memory/CPU backup batteries?  They last a long time but not forever!  I had an intermittent 15m transmit problem that was solved the last time I replaced the CPU battery and reseated/tightened the screws that hold down the cover over the CPU PCB.

Dino KL0S/4
N0CGF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:53:59 AM »

Ive got to second that,, I had weired intermittent problems at power up, and when I changed the batteries the intermittent problems ended.  I did measure the battery voltage before I changed them and is was VERY LOW to support the low battery fix.
My TS 940 was purchased October of 1986, and changing the batteries have been the only work done on the Rig.  It has been very reliable.

73's N0CGF Dennis
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »

Yes, the backup batteries are the first thing to try, actually, I should have keyed on that.  It is easy to do and should be done first!

KE3WD
N6YMZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »

Thanks, I'll check the batteries.  Read that the batteries are BR2032 can a CR2032 battery work?
N0CGF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 05:07:05 AM »

I first contacted Kenwood and they wanted $ 20.00 for each battery.  The batteries have leads soldered on the battery so they can be soldered on the circuit board. This made replacement and purchasing the right battery more difficult. Even Radio Shack did not have batteries with leads soldered on them. I thought of installing battery sockets to make battery replacement easy, but,,,
Then I remembered the BATTERIES PLUS the store who advertise batteries for every thing,,,So I took the battery out of the TS 940AT and took it to the batteries  Plus  Store.  They had the EXACT battery Kenwood installed in the Rig when it was built. The wires were already soldered on it like it was from Kenwood as a replacement part. If I remember correct the battery I took off the display circuit board behind the display was a SANYO CR2450. Batteries Plus had this exact battery part number with leads soldered on !! 73's Dennis N0CGF
N0CGF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 05:15:40 AM »

I forgot to state the cost of the battery with leads on them at BATTERIES PLUS, the battery was less than $5.00 each CHEAP,,,,73's
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 10:01:29 AM »

Two design types:  Br and CR

"Panasonic coin type lithium batteries are available in two types: BR series, poly carbon mono-fluoride lithium batteries for uses requiring extended reliability and safety, and CR series, manganese dioxide lithium batteries for uses requiring high voltage and strong load pulse characteristics."

http://www.microbattery.com/tech-panasonic.htm

Don't substitute here!  

You've been told one good source.  You can likely google up many more.  Do the right thing the right way here.  That's a fine rig that deserves it.  

KE3WD
N6YMZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 11:02:09 AM »

Hey thanks everyone, I'll replace the batteries and see what happens.

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 03:43:02 PM »

Whilst you are in there replacing the battery in the digital unit check the Eprom. If it's socketed remove it and reseat it. Intermittent connections on the legs can cause that problem. Kenwood recommends removing the socket and soldering the Eprom to the board but I don't know your abilities and that's a 2 sided board that is easy to mess up. If you don't have the proper equipment just reseat it, don't take a chance on damaging the board.

Clif
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: