Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AVMap G5 & TH-D7A(G)  (Read 950 times)
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »

Hi all,

I just got my G5 installed in the car and plugged into my Kenwood TH-D7 and while the data gets from the GPS to the radio, I see no indication that the information is getting from the radio to the GPS to display any APRS contacts.

Is there a setting I am missing, or does this radio not support this feature?  An internet search just seems to talk about the new D710.

Any help would be appreciated.

73's

Jeremy N1ZZZ
VA3XH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 06:10:15 PM »

The radio supports it(works for me). Does your GPS and cable?
Peter
AB0OO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:30:36 AM »

When using the D7 with the Avmap, you need to have "waypoints" enabled, as described on page 5 of the Extended Operaitions manual for the D7(g), excerpted here:
When APRS data is received with a GPS receiver connected, included position data is sent to the receiver, using the NMEA-0183 $GPWPL format (or Magellan format). This data is registered in the Waypoint List of the receiver. Access Menu 2–3 (WAYPOINT) and select the number of  characters to be input. You can select 6 to 9 digits for NMEA, 6 digits for Magellan, DGPS, or OFF (default) . With NMEA 6 digits selected, the right 6 characters of the call sign is used as a name (ex. for KJ6HC-3, J6HC-3).

Unfortunately, the $GPWPL statement doesn't really have all the info the AvMAP needs to show nice data:  it will give you position and the ID (if you're a geek, Glenn Baddeley has an excellent breakdown of GPS sentences, including GPWPL, here:
http://home.mira.net/~gnb/gps/nmea.html#gpwpl )
Because the GPWPL statement is weak, the Avmap will show the position of the contacts picked up by the D7A as red triangles with a dot in them.  The Identifier in the WPGPL sentence is the callsign of the sending station, so you'll eventually get a map covered in little red triangles.
To really get the full glory of the AvMap GPS, you need a source of the "proprietary" $PKWDWPL sentences.  Fortunately, if you're really hardcore, this is available for the D7 radios too, here:
http://www.kh-gps.de/codeconv.htm
Or, you can just do what I did and break open my piggy bank and buy the D710, which Just Works with the AvMap.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: