Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CAT system and the Yaesu FT990  (Read 583 times)
PD2R

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »

Hello all,

I recently got the chance to buy a second hand Yaesu CAT system for my FT 990. After I received it in the mail I really wanted to see how it worked.
Well... it didn't.
A friend came over en brought his home brew CAT system box which had always worked fine on his FT 990. Nevertheless, on my transceiver it gave exactly the same problems as with the original Yaesu box.
We checked and double checked al the settings in de computer but everything is set according the manual. We also tried to change a few settings but that didn't work either.
De CAT system indicator on the rig lights up but the moment is does the set becomes quiet and I’m not able to operate it.
We tried it with HAM radio de luxe and with N1MM but both programs gave the same results.
Whit HAM Radio de luxe I was sometimes able to change bands but it took about half a minute before the transceiver reacted.
Is there anyone who knows what this might be?? Is there something wrong with my rig?

Thanks and 73,

Maarten, PD2R
K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »

hello from Reno Nv.. all you need to hook up a cat system to your computer is a rs232 cable from you radio to the computer.. if you radio has the rs232 in the back of the radio, i have a mark v 1000mp and it works great.. if hook up right, your cat lite in the radio blinks...hope this helps...73 bob
W3FLH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »

Maarten,

Perform the "Las Vegas" test on your '990.  To do this, press in the "1.5" & "7" buttons (yellow  #1 & #3) while powering on the unit.  This will proceed to light every segment on the display one-by-one, and then display "YAESU" and the ROM version.  After displaying this for a few seconds, the rig will return to normal operation.

The CAT will only work with ROM V1.3.  If you've got V1.2, it polls the radio for an extended period, which interferes with proper CAT control.  This is a very abbreviated description, but it is the first step toward figuring out your problem.

Good luck, either way it's a great rig.

de Tony, W3flh
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:13:59 AM »

I ran the so called “Las Vegas” test and now I know why it’s called that way. I never knew the FT 990 had so much blinking light in its display!
I also found out I have the older 1.2 version.
The obvious question now is, how can I update to the newer 1.3 version or is it tough luck and should I sell the rig and buy a model which I can hook up to my PC?

Tony, you gave a perfect discription off the test, even I could do it, hi.
Thanks!
W3FLH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:15:24 AM »

Thanks for the good words, OM!  

As for the rig, from what I understand, the ROM upgrade is no longer available from Yaesu, so I guess you've got a tough decision to make...

If you want to find some more information, try the FT-990 group at Yahoo! at this address: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/FT990/

As I stated earlier, and I'm sure you know, it really is a fine rig, and not having the CAT control is certainly not the end of the world.  That being said, it is nice to be able control it from the PC, especially on the digital modes.  Whichever way you decide, enjoy using the '990, it's one of the best bargains on the used market, and will still hold it's own with most rigs of today.

Hope to catch you OTA sometime, 990-to-990!

de Tony, W3FLH
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 07:28:08 AM »

Here I am again.

I contacted a local HAM store (and Yaesu dealer) en he offered me an update which would cost me €85 (about $100) plus the cost's of installing it into the radio.
My problem is this, he can't garantee that it will cure the problem. There is a possibility that I'm still not able to control my rig with my computer.
That would obviously be waste of money.
Can someone (Tony?) give me a helpful insight (again, hi)?

Thanks!

Maarten
PD2R
W3FLH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »

Maarten,

I don't want to get your hopes up, neither do I want to get you down....

I can only offer you this:  The rig definitely cannot be CAT controlled if it is running ROM 1.2; installing/updating to ROM 1.3 is a necessary first step if that's your goal.  Once you're running the newer ROM version, it should just be a matter of assembling the proper cable or interface for the rig-to-PC connection, and running software capable of communicating with the rig.  For me, that's a G4ZLP Digimaster DUAL Channel for CAT and digimode control, and Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) for software.  It works FB right out of the box (okay, I needed some help, but that was operator error!), and has worked well since.

I guess you'll need to decide if you this is the path you want to take, and then be sure that you have confidence in the tech performing the upgrade.  Once that is accomplished, the rest is just "nuts & bolts", so to speak.

Keep me posted on how you decide to proceed, and let me know if I can offer any more help as you go.

Good luck and good DX!

de Tony, W3FLH
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 03:09:32 AM »

Hello Tony,

I have made up my mind, I'm not going to buy/install the update. The reason is that I think the costs are to high in comparison to benefits. You can spend your money only once.
I rater put my money into a good antenna system. I can't put up a big antenna system but still I would like to have the best antenna system possible that will fit my small lot.

Nevertheless I would like to thank your for your helpful input, it is much appreciated.
And maybe, when I have erected my antenna, we can do a 990 to 990 QSO, I certainly hope so.

73, Maarten
PD2R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: