Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Broadcasting  (Read 726 times)
K7GRR

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »

I'm a relatively new ham (18 months) and so far, on HF (mostly 40 anf 80 meters) I have heard (for example):

A 30 minute reading of various religeous dogma on 3.44 Mhz with no station ID ( and lots of 'jammers').

An operator sending the bulk of the book of revelations VIA CW for over an two hours on 7.100 MHz, no station ID, ever

A fair amount of anti-(name a group, it doesn't really matter) pseudo-networks.

Graphic sexual references.  Not the use of a word, but explicit in-depth discussion.

Racism.

Bigotry.

Pro-Slavery.

I could go on and on.  This is in one night of scanning around.

On the positive side, the nets have been very helpful and patient with me and my inexperience, but my oh my the (in my opinion) other HF trash-noise is incredible, and frankly very dissappointing.  I guess I expected a bit more.

I may just stick to 6M on up if this is what HF is like.  My experiences there have always been very good.

Am I expecting too much?  Do I just ignore the trash?

What would an Elmer do?  ...:-)

-T K7GRR
2E0MCA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »

We have similar problems in Europe, though not quite as pronounced as those you have described.  There is a station that likes to play marching music on 7.070 early in the morning now and again.  Most people know of the problem that has existed around 14.195 for some time though it seems to have quietened down in the last few weeks, so I wonder if a temporary truce has broken out.   Then there are the scratchers and whistlers that try to disrupt DX and special event stations.

What should we do..Ignore them.  Most of these people need the oxygen of knowing they are being a nuisance.  Of course, if they can be tracked down using Direction Finding techniques then the authorities can deal with them.

Go and work some genuine Hams and ignore the fools.  Hope to hear and work you split on 40M in the spring :-)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »

Hey, you can always just go up to 11 meters instead for a breath of fresh air!  Seriously, you actually do have a choice.  Either get on the air and blast all of those damn dingbats to smitherines, or ignore those fools and keep your own stress level and blood pressure from going over the top!  A big shot in the FCC has already given us hams the government's official advice about these sort of matters...  "Just keep on tuning"!!
KQ9J

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:32:19 AM »

Yeah, that kind of junk on the bands is annoying, but easy to get rid of...just turn the dial. The positive experiences and thousands of wonderful contacts I have made on HF far outweigh the negative. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Have fun.
HA6SST

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 04:01:08 AM »

Two hours of the Book of Revelations sent using CW would be wonderful code practice. When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

HA6SST
WB2TQC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:07:35 AM »

I have never subjected myself to such nonsense. When I come across a QSO that I find is disturbing to me, I just move on. There's plenty of bandspace to move to. I don't hear that sort of stuff too much on the CW portions but like the last gentleman said. If, for nothing else, it would be good Code practice. Perhaps you could break in and ask the operator to ramp it up a bit. Smiley

John WB2TQC
KPAX2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 05:21:09 AM »

The FCC won't do a damned thing!

I visited with Riley Hollingsdick many times about BROADCAST stations in the 75 Meter Band. He says they have a right to be there, since it's non-US crapola. 3925 has a Strong KOREAN Station there all the time.

We even have Local Broadcasters with BIRDIES and Harmonics in the 75 Meter Band all the way up to, 40 meters I can hear Country Western Tunes, News, Stuff like that every 100 KC or so.

Told Riley about it, He says thats normal! According to Riley, "Dirty" transmitters are a thing of the past, It doesn't happen anymore. HAH HAH HAH.

So I wrote the ARRL.

They stated since I was not a Subscriber, theres nothing they can do until I pay the dues.! Then they work Hand-in-Hand with Riley!

Comunnist bastards.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 06:55:37 AM »

"A 30 minute reading of various religeous dogma on 3.44 Mhz with no station ID ( and lots of 'jammers')."

Did we get 3.44MHz in the band restructuring?

;-)

Look, if you go looking for these guys, you're going to find them.  There is probably good reason to ignore them because they just want attention.

If no one ever confronted them on the air or tried to jam them I doubt they'd have any fun doing it.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W7FRS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 08:44:44 AM »

K7GRR > Am I expecting too much? Do I just ignore the trash?

W7FRS > Yes to both.

K7GRR > What would an Elmer do? ...:-)

N3OX (answer) > Look, if you go looking for these guys, you're going to find them. There is probably good reason to ignore them because they just want attention.

If no one ever confronted them on the air or tried to jam them I doubt they'd have any fun doing it.

W7FRS > Dito what N3OX said.  I have been a ham for a while longer than you have.  I have never found all of the trash that you have in and out of the ham bands.  You are hunting for trouble and finding it.

I want to hang out where gentlemen and ladies hang out.  If I find something on the air that is anyway objectionable or against the rules, I know how to turn the dial and that is what I do.  You would do well to do the same.

The FCC is interested in ham radio operators character.  You don't need to break the rules to find it hard to keep your license when it's time to renew.  Being grumpy and disagreeable is enough.  I heard years ago that this was coming. Riley's recent comments lead me to believe that this is the way it is now.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 09:53:52 AM »

K7GRR writes:

"A 30 minute reading of various religeous dogma on 3.44 Mhz with no station ID ( and lots of 'jammers')."

3.44 MHz is outside the amateur bands. There are a
considerable number of religious-based SWBC stations
on the air. Could it have been one of them?

"An operator sending the bulk of the book of revelations VIA CW for over an two hours on 7.100 MHz, no station ID, ever"

The only violation there is the failure to ID. Sending
code practice is legal as long as the applicable rules
are followed, but the station must ID every 10 minutes.

A while back, there was a ham who was cited by FCC
for doing something similar (sending bible texts on
7040 or thereabouts, 24/7). But he did ID IIRC. The
citation wasn't for the actual operation, but for
not replying to FCC letters. Maybe it's the same guy.

"A fair amount of anti-(name a group, it doesn't really matter) pseudo-networks.

Graphic sexual references. Not the use of a word, but explicit in-depth discussion.

Racism.

Bigotry.

Pro-Slavery."

As offensive as those things are, unless they meet the
legal definition of obscenity/profanity, they probably
come under the heading of First-Amendment-protected
free speech. They're not a good advertisement for ham
radio, of course.

Some hams make the mistake of thinking that because
somebody gets away with a particular kind of talk on
broadcast radio or TV, it's OK for them to do the same
thing. It isn't.

"I could go on and on. This is in one night of scanning around."

"I guess I expected a bit more."

How many QSOs and nets did you come across that were
not offensive?  

"I may just stick to 6M on up if this is what HF is like. My experiences there have always been very good.

Am I expecting too much? Do I just ignore the trash?"

A couple of observations....

First, HF isn't all like that. Certain frequencies
do tend to attract a certain type, though, and they
tend to be rather vocal.

Second, on a band like 6 meters, your reliable range
tends to be rather local and rather limited. You
probably hear hams from an area of a few thousand
square miles around your QTH. So you
tend to work the same folks over and over, and they're
not far away except when the band opens up. When the
band does open up, it's DX time, and lots of excitement.

But on HF, particularly 80 and 40, the reliable range
is much longer and covers a much larger area. So a
bad apple is much more noticeable.

Third, if you hear something that clearly violates
FCC rules, you *can* let FCC know. Their enforcement
actions are complaint-driven. Record the violation
if possible and send to Mr. H. with as much detail
as possible. (for some reason, a recording carries much more importance).

Fourth, what mode were the violators using? It looks
to me like they were all using voice modes except for
the non-IDing code practice one. That tells you
something....

Spend some time listening in the non-phone parts
of the HF bands and see how much fun we're having.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 10:33:22 AM »

For anyone that cares...
The FCC is responsible for non-military transmitters in the USA.  It does NOT regulate the military, it does NOT regulate any foreign nation's transmitters.
If there is a problem coming from another nation, you must contact their country's regulatory agency.
That information is available from the ITU.

-Mike.
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 05:03:22 PM »

"I'm a relatively new ham (18 months) and so far, on HF (mostly 40 anf 80 meters) I have heard (for example):
A 30 minute reading of various religeous dogma on 3.44 Mhz with no station ID ( and lots of 'jammers').
An operator sending the bulk of the book of revelations VIA CW for over an two hours on 7.100 MHz, no station ID, ever
A fair amount of anti-(name a group, it doesn't really matter) pseudo-networks.
Graphic sexual references. Not the use of a word, but explicit in-depth discussion.
Racism.
Bigotry.
Pro-Slavery."

Wow, you heard all that in 18 months as a ham?  Or was some of that from SWL before you were a ham?  I'm also relatively new but a few more years then you and I can't say I have heard all or even most of this type of operating.  Perhaps you have a better antenna system then mine and can hear more or it may just be in your local area.  But I have almost never heard any of this nonsesne.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 07:36:41 PM »

I'm with WL; I heard very little of what you describe on the amateur bands. What little I HAVE heard has been on a small segment of 75m.

Also, folks, there is no such book in the Bible as "revelations". The book is Revelation. Sorta like there no such thing as a "verticle", a balum" or a "diapole". Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KC8YXA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »

There back at it tonight with sound effects
K7GRR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 09:43:17 PM »

First, I apologize for the multiple posts - eham.net kept replying that it was unable to post to the forum "Post" - the staff let me know that this happens sometimes.

Second, I'm no theologian... it was parts of the Book of Revelation (or whatever, you know what I'm getting at) with phrases like "I feel the rifle bullet in my chest" and "The pain of longing from far away"...  very odd.  Good practice, though!  I couldn't find a station ID in there, tho.

Third, yes, mostly on 80M, and isolated chunks at that.  THe 3.44 Mhz was indeed out of band, my mistake.  I may have copied the freq wrong as well.  Who cares?

Fourth - you are all correct:  I just tune elsewhere.  It just kinda rubbed me the wrong way last night.  I have made hundreds of great QSO's in a short time, and they've all been terrific.  Last night was just a fluke, I guess.

As I stated, I'm pretty new to this, so lesson learned.... :-)

-T
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: