Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: use of the /6 /7 etc indicator.  (Read 1197 times)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 05:47:26 AM »

This is why the great majority of my operating is mobile. No one ever asks why I'm in New Mexico.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N9XTF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 06:25:52 AM »

Rob,

Take a look at all the correspondence from Steve Katz, WB2WIK /6.  Every post, e-mail, or regular mail that you receive from him will have the stroke 6 attached to it.  The few times I have been lucky enough to work him on air, he always uses stroke 6 after his call.  This is great operating practice and removes the question.

Doug - N9XTF
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 06:29:20 AM »

It appears that W7NZX is available as a vanity call if you want it!

Scott N0IU
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 10:54:46 AM »

You must be working some nincompoops.

I have a WB2 call in California, and have for more than 19 years now, and make 100+ contacts per week on HF, and virtually nobody ever asks me why I'm in California.

I am asked pretty often, "So, where are you from originally?" and a lot of people asking that are in NJ or NY (W2-land) so they want to know if we are ex-neighbors.  No harm in that, it makes for a good QSO.

WB2WIK/6
(I sign /6 in writing, but almost never on the air)
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 03:33:35 PM »

Rob
See you on 3905 cc 40M tonight, will be mobile ks/ne line with WD0W club.
Glen WT0A
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »

To be fair, WB2WIK always puts out a strong, recognizable signal on the air.  

There is recognition there that was earned.  

Also, any ham with a modicum of HF experience on this side of the divide that can copy him can tell that he ain't comin' in from 2-land either.  

Only those who never listen before talking would be likely to ask the question of WB2WIK...

KE3WD said that.  
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 06:58:27 AM »

Obviously none of the people asking you these questions are from Florida. You can find folks with call signs from all ten call districts living there.

Rob, you get bent out of shape over too many inconsequential things. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 04:16:23 PM »

Heck Rob, just move back to Kalifornia and be done with it.  That would solve all yer problems.  Easy solution to  such a perplexing problem.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 07:25:16 PM »

Anyone that gives you a hassle isn't worth talking to.
    The FCC don't just say you don't HAVE to change a call with an address change, they apparently prefer you do NOT do such, since it takes extra effort to request and assign a new callsign.

In some circumstances it's probably a courtesy to mention your actual location.  But the only occasion I can see a real reason to sigh with a /5, /6, /wherever, would be with a DX station calling by the "munbers," or a contest where someone is lookong for a specific state/call area.
    Obviously, if a DX station is calling "6's" and points  his/her antenna in that direction, I would probably sign /6 or possibly be ignored.  If waiting until that DX gets to the "9's," I might be on the side of the beam and not heard.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: