Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lindsay antenna  (Read 565 times)
VE1CZ

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »

I just inherited an old verticle antenna that needs work but is fixable.This antenna was built by Lindsay Antennas located somewhere in Ontario.It has 4 coils and is about 21 to 22 feet tall.I have been unable to find any info on the web about it and was wondering if anyone would have  any info about this antenna such as setting the lengths for the 4 bands? I am guessing that it covers 10 to 40 meters but not sure of the proper spacings to set it to the various bands.Any info would be a great help.
                Tnx Bob VE1CZ  
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:13:54 AM »

If you can't get instructions (and even if you can) it sounds like a trap vertical for 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters.  

You can try the following:

1) Start with all sections near the middle of their positions.
2) Adjust the highest frequency section first (10M, the lowest coil).  Get that coil at the right distance so that you minimize the SWR in the part of that band you want.
2) Proceed in order to the next highest frequency trap (next shortest from the ground).
3) Work you way up until all bands have a good SWR.

You might repeat step 1, 2, 3 a couple of times until the SWRs settle.

This is probably not too different from the instructions that may have come with the antenna.

Good luck

73, JP, K8AG
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »

They are either traps or straight loading coils... either way, K8AG's instructions will work!
Here is where a dip meter comes in handy!
Consider replacing the coils with an autotuner at the base of the antenna to gain other bands of operation.

-Mike.

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »

It seems that Lindsay Antennas were built in Lindsay ON. They were bought by Wade Antennas and are now associated with TACO antennas. None of these outfits reveal any association with HF antennas, Good luck !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: