Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garmin Nuvi 350 - TM-D700A Cable  (Read 5444 times)
KI4OUQ

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »

I am thinking about getting a Garmin Nuvi 350 and
would like to know if anyone knows of a pre-made
cable to link it with my TM-D700A were I can run
APRS.

Clear Skies & 73
Tom - W4OUQ
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:21:37 PM »

It looks like the Garmin Nuvi uses USB for interfacing. Sorry, but it won't talk to the TM-D700. Hopefully we'll see an updated unit from Kenwood someday. It is getting harder to justify an older generation GPS these days.

The upside is that you can pick up a "puck" style GPS with an RS-232 serial interface for about $50. You won't get a map view of the area, but you'll still be able to use the built in DF display on the TMd700.

Eric
N3KQX
KB0USY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »

Look for a gps that has a NEMA 0183 format or the unit will not work.Heard you might get some nema ports generated from the Garmin web site but something
I've not had time to look into.
Goodluck from steve
WE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

The Nuvi 350 is not recognized as a serial device it is treated as a disk drive so interfacing the D700 or 710 is not possible.
WE0Z
N1VG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »

Well, this is only about a year late, but I wanted to say that there IS a way to do this.  I've developed a cable with a protocol translator in it that will both output NMEA sentences and accept GPWPL and PKWDWPL (from the D710) sentences and create waypoints on the nuvi 350.

It required getting USB cables custom made, and there's at least a thousand lines of firmware code in the device, but it works really well.  PCBs are on the way now, the MCUs are being programmed, and everything will be put together as soon as all of the parts are here.

Scott
N1VG
KE9SZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 06:36:02 AM »

Scott, I'm curious about whether your proto xlation schema differs between the 350 and say a Garmin 376c. Getting data to a 700 or 710 is not a problem of course, but it's the other way around I'm thinking of.

The xm sat wx feature on the 376c is useful for skywarn and I'd think there's no small number of hams who use a 276 or 376.

I'm thinking your software could work with a handful of other Garmin gps units with some tweaks, some more than others. Any thoughts on that angle?

Thanks,
Bill KE9SZ
K4AAF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »

I see that Scott Miller, N1VG is now offering the previously discussed interface cables on the Argent Data Systems Website. There are two versions:  one for Kenwood APRS Radios, and one for other APRS setups that take a D-Sub cable.  According to the Website info, the "Kenwood" cable is supposed to allow full functionality (icon and course/speed info (as well as a Callsign "waypoint", I assume) when used with a Nuvi 350 and TM-D710A, but that the D7 handheld and D700 will also work, at least to the extent of showing waypoints.  Apparently certain other named Garmin GPS units may have some functionality as well.

I have ordered one of these for my Kenwood APRS radios, so we'll see....

Jim K4AAF
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:24:03 AM »

Does anyone know if that translator cable will work with a nuvi 750 and a tinytrack3+? If so, sold.
KJ4YZI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

to all who read this, google argent cables tm-d700, there is a cable for many radios out there, where a USB interfaced Garmin GPS will talk to a Kenwood/Yaesu etc like a AVMAP would.. bidirectional traffic to both units and its about 50 dollars..
KB3UNI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 06:51:57 AM »

You would need a GTRANS cable to convert the 350
to NMEA, then a TinyTrak3 or TinyTrak4, a M12 or M5 cable to connect
to the Yaesu, and a F-F null modem cable to connect to a computer
serial port to configure it.

Argent Data makes the cable you would need to convert the 350 for serial use.

KB3UNI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: