About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-8R  (Read 754 times)
KI6FSP

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »

I've owned my VX-8R now for several months and enjoy the radio.  I do have one issue though, I've been unable to get YAESU to provide the data necessary to connect to a generic NEMA GPS!  Not even sure it is possible with this radio, but it should be! If you claim to use the NEMA protocall, inter-connecting NEMA devices should be a snap. One aspect of APRS is the ability to view other users on a graphic display, which can be done with the Kenwood THD-7 utilizing the graphic display of any NEMA GPS.  To date, I've been unsuccessful interfacing the VX-8R, and YEASU has been no help.
WX7K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:42:10 AM »

I am interested in this radio and am also interested in whether or not I can connect my Garmin GPS-V.  I downloaded the manual from Yaesu and could find nothing to help me.  Has anyone out there connected another GPS unit to the VX-8r?
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »

"The Yaesu FGPS-2 GPS antenna can be interfaced with the VX-8R in two ways:
1. It can attach to the MH-74A7A speaker mic (sold separately).
2. It can attach to the radio via the CT-136 adapter (sold separately).

I think Yaesu missed the mark on this HT! I would buy it right now if it had a PC port and could run APRS and programing software like the TH-D7.

73 de Lindy

K6JYB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

I have the VX-8R and love it.  I don't think that Yaesu intended it to be used for interface with other GPS's and computers.  I use it when I hike so my wife or others can track me.  I carry a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx, the VX-8R, and SPOT Satellite Messanger with me while hiking.  To have to worry about a cable tying the 8R and GPS together would be too cumbersome IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: