Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile HF antenna placement on a 2-door Jimmy  (Read 269 times)
N8DV

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »

Maybe someone has some ideas. I am looking to put an HF mobile antenna on my 2 door Jimmy. It has a tailgate that I place an mount for a 2 meter antenna. I have tried running my ATAS 120A with a tri-magnet mount on the roof, with appropriate ground so-so performance. Has anyone mounted an antenna near the front fender area? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 73 es thanks.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:04:06 PM »

HF and mag mounts really don't mix well.
You want as much chasis as you can... mount the antenna front or rear, but plan on bonding for good connections.  Mounting in front usually gets more noise from ignition,etc.  That's why rear panel or rear bumper is usually used.
Check out K3BG's site... lots of good info there!

-Mike.
K7ALV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:20:08 PM »

Can you provide URL for K3BG website?
W0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:01 PM »

K0BG.com
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »

A large mag-mount works fairly well on 20m-10m but not enough capacitance to the vehicle on 75m and 40m. Easier said than done, the best place to mount an HF antenna on that vehicle is in the middle of the roof.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
TOYBOX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 03:07:11 PM »

Fred,

I have a Comet SB14 mounted on the left front of the hood  with a Comet lip mount. This is on a '04 Silverado. I chose that location to keep out of trees and roadside bushes. Antenna works fine there and looks OK. CoAx routing was a piece of cake for me.

There are a number of negative comments on lip mounts. Then again there is a number of lot of negative comments period, when it comes to mounting antennas.

The ideal for me would be a NMO mount on the roof. But this is a loaned (company) vehicle. So my choice of mounting schemes was/is limited.

I like my setup. It performs well and does so consistently. I have, 6M, 2M and 70cm in a compromise but reliable antenna system. And on a vehicle that when  turned in is almost as originally issued.

While certainly not a resolution to your situation, consider it a suggestion.

Good lick

Craig

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 03:33:34 PM »

you can do several things here.  a custom made Z bracket, under one of the front fender bolts, up through the hood / fender seam and them mount antenna on top, or a diamond K 400 C mount bolted on the fromt bumper. or a piece of  metal out from under the rear dirvers side attached to a piece of frame  and sticking out just far enough to mount the antenna, or a home brew license plate frame mount, or ?? how about a trailer hitch with a mount on that?? can you take off the hood ornement and mount it  there and replace the hood ornement when selling the vehicle9or add one then..Smiley  think outside the box, good luck
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »

you can do several things here.  a custom made Z bracket, under one of the front fender bolts, up through the hood / fender seam and them mount antenna on top, or a diamond K 400 C mount bolted on the fromt bumper. or a piece of  metal out from under the rear dirvers side attached to a piece of frame  and sticking out just far enough to mount the antenna, or a home brew license plate frame mount, or ?? how about a trailer hitch with a mount on that?? can you take off the hood ornement and mount it  there and replace the hood ornement when selling the vehicle9or add one then..Smiley  think outside the box, good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: