Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ts570-s(g) Kenwood 6 meter question  (Read 366 times)
LENNNIE

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »

For those of you that have owned TS-570S(G)'s, I just bought a 570S(G) Transceiver and can't seem to figue out how to make it work on 6 meters.  I've been reading the owners manual and I think it says I need an additional unit in order to use 6 meters but I'm not sure.  I assumed originally (there's that word again) that I could work 6 meters from a wire with a tuner.  Is that correct or am I all wet.  Thanks for your replies.  Len KD8CWP
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:44:19 PM »

All you need to do to place the unit on six meters is step with the band switch button. You will need to select the antenna port (generally number 2) to hook up the 6 meter antenna.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:14:03 PM »

K6EAR is probably right. You can use either antenna port for any band. Your 6 meters could be on the other port, and that is why it may appear not to work. I have every thing going to the same port on my TS-570sg. If I had a 6 meter amplifier then I would use the other and not pass my signal thru my Kenwood amp, Just in case I left my HF amp on by accident.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:34:04 PM »

hi lennie,

the manual refers to additional equipment if you are using a transverter for 2m and 6m (not with the 570SG)

ant2 is for 6m.

73 james
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:40:09 PM »

Lennie:

You need nothing extra to use your 570S(G) on 6m. Select 6m on the band selector and select which antenna connector your 6m antenna is connected to from the left side of the front panel. It's button 4, marked ANT.

With all due respect, this is spelled out in the manual.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 09:00:40 PM »

"I could work 6 meters from a wire with a tuner. "

You could but don't bother.

I'd start with a minimum of a rotatable dipole.  Home Depot sells some aluminum C-channel that's heavy enough to build a rotatable 6m dipole and you could rotate it with a TV rotator.

I built a Moxon out of that Home Depot aluminum.

http://n3ox.net/projects/sixmoxon/

If you really can't rotate it, try a halo or fixed dipole or something.

Whatever you do, build a *resonant* dedicated 6m antenna that's a good match to coax and use good coax.

Feedline and tuner losses will kill your signal on 6m, and dedicated single band antennas are small and easy to build.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 04:49:08 AM »

"work 6 meters from a wire with a tuner"
Yes, you can, but you will probably want a better, dedicated antenna for 6 meters.  Probably two... a vertical tuned for the higher FM portion, and a small horizontal beam or dipole tuned for SSB portion of the band.
There is some E-skip during the day, but expect a lot of "listening to noise" during this phase of the "solar cycle".
Good Luck!

-Mike.

W5ONV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »

Just put it on 6 and go,it's real easy >
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »

As said already, you get 6 Meters by stepping through the bands.  (Obviously, 6 Meters comes after 10 Meters; the default [at least on mine] WAS 50.125 MHz.)  THEN, make sure you are using the proper antenna connector.  You CAN toggle between Antenna 1 and Antenna 2 with "ANT" button.  (Same as $4 on the keypad on the left.)
    Be aware that while you MIGHT be able to make contacts with a "wire," you would need an external tuner, which is not very efficient on 6 Meters.  The internal tuner matches only a very narrow SWR range.  Switch it off when using the external tuner.  But you are STILL much better off using at least a dipole for 6 Meters.  Even a 3 el. Yagi isn't much bigger than a TV antenna.

Good Luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: