Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT Mono-band Telescoping Antennas  (Read 308 times)
K4VDH

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:37:32 AM »

I'm considering purchasing a 2mtr.& a 220Mhz (sma & bnc). From CheapHam.com. Models: Super Stick II & Super Stick III. Now, I'm concerned about the "stress" factor that these type of antennas would have on both type of connections. I always value the input/experience that any of you might have about this issue of concern to me. Any suggestions/opinions for other options to consider? Thanks,   73
Jerry   KF4UJA
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »

Well naturally extending the antenna to the full 48 inches is going to create a lot extra lateral force. And the claim of an additional 9 db gain is ludicrous. You would honestly be much better served by buying the 5/8 slim duck antenna’s and adding a trailing wire of the base to act as a ground plane. Make the 2 meter one 19.5 inches long and the 220 one 12 inches long. You still will not see the wonderful gain figures that Smiley antenna claims you will. But it should work much better and be better on your HT's.

Jeff
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »

Depending upon the radio(s) in question, the BNC connector will probably handle a hit on a 48" antenna without breaking, but almost certainly the SMA connector won't. Neither is designed for that kind of stress.

And as Jeff says, the 9dB gain figure is a joke. The only way that antenna has 9db gain is to compate it to a dead short across the antenna terminals.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

9 dB over the original "rubber duckie" might be possible.  Certainly not 9 dBd!

I can get >10 dB over the original "rubber duckie" by simply mounting the original rubber duckie on a connector installed in the center of a metallic hard hat, running RG58/U down from that and plugging it into the hand-held.  All that does is relocate the rubber duckie from the hand held to atop my head, and gives it a metal ground plane to work with.

Plus it makes me look like the world's biggest geek, which is a bonus.

WB2WIK/6
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

"Plus it makes me look like the world's biggest geek, which is a bonus"

Second biggest geek compared to the guy with a yagi on his helmet

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WA6HDZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »

To your question, yes, they will put more mechanical stress on the BNC or SMA connector.  This may not be a problem while you're standing still.  If you look around you'll find some in-between solutions that are better than a rubber duck but not as unwieldy as the metal whip, and not as nerdy as a tin hat.

A good compromise is to use the duck antenna when you're working into local repeaters but have the metal stick handy.  Remember, just 3dB is the same as doubling your power.  (9 dB? I haven't seen that kind of gain from a simple whip since 73 magazine went out of business!)
WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »

For 2 meters, I've used a AEA Hot Rod for many years.

This is a halfwave monoband design - repeat- MONOBAND, that works considerably better than a rubber duck. I don't recall the actual gain figures, but while running simplex, someone who was in the noise with the rubber duck was Q5 and in the clear with the Hot Rod.

The half wave design also puts a lot less stress on the BNC connector and has a slim profile.

http://www.rimtai.com/chtr/products/ANTENNA/aea/iso.htm

...WA1RNE
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »

"Second biggest geek compared to the guy with a yagi on his helmet"

Is that when you hold up your sign that says,
"YAGI GO HOME!"?

Uda ever thought eHam would come to this?

KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »

I loved the guy at Dayton with the ~18" tower and tiny beam on top of his hardhat - a man after my own heart.
Gee, I can multi-function the tin foil hat that keeps the aliens from reading my mind by using it as a ground plane for my HT!!  Great idea!
I love it when humor and ham radio come together.
73 de kt8k - Tim
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »

Once was at a CB "coffee break" where a guy was wearing a metal hat with a 9 foot whip bolted to the top!  I think he may have been the "world's biggest dork"!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »

I had an extendable antenna for an HT, pulled all the way out I could open repeaters that I could barely hear on the duckie antenna. Regarding the mechanical stress, just take it easy moving around when the thing is extended, how hard is that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: