Electret condenser mic element/switch to ceramic?

(1/1)

Karl T Schwab:
Gentlemen; I needed to add a second Ten-Tec microphone to my line up of old Ten-Tec tranceivers, Argonaut 509, Omni D, and Omni "C" series.  Somehow, I ended up through the years owning only one Ten-Tec model 215P mic with these three radios!  Now, I want to give my son, KA8BIM, one of the Omni's and I will not have a mic here then at my QTH.  I was able to locate a Ten-Tec 215 on the Internet, but it turned out to be for a later radio and has what I believe is a electret condenser element and had a four conductor plug on the cord.  I am wondering if I can just switch the element to what I need, a ceramic, high impedance, such as one that Mouser, stock #25LM021 offers?   (www.mouser.com) It has a frequency response of 100~7k hz and impedance of 230k ohms.  The '215 mic that I need, uses a 1/4" stereo phone plug. Thanks for your help guys, 73, Karl  

Pete Allen:
The 244 mike was an electret mike for the Argosy and Delta 580. Both the 215P and 215PC were ceramic mikes.

Many of the 215's had their plugs changed, and you probably have one that's been converted to work on a later Ten Tec. I would try replacing the 4 pin jack with a stereo plug before I replaced the element.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

Karl T Schwab:
Thanks Pete for your input, interesting.  I did try using the 1/4" stereo plug, and I used many different wiring combinations to this plug and no dice!  The element in the mic in question, has 3 wires going to the element.  Any other comments??  Thanks, Karl

Clark McDonald:
>has 3 wires going to the element<

One of those three wires is DC power, typically around 8VDC, no less than 5VDC and no more than 10VDC or so.  

Without DC power, electret condenser element can't work.  

You could use a 9V battery, current consumption is extremely low.  

Karl T Schwab:
Thanks, I guess I can try an small battery on the various elements and see what happens!  Poof???, maybe?  73, Karl

Navigation

[0] Message Index