Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oscilloscope  (Read 1265 times)
WB2QDG

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »

I have a 20 Mhz 'scope and think its time to upgrade.  The advice I'm getting most often is to stick with Tektronics (and Tek probes).  I see that the Tek 465 seems to be popular.  Is it safe to buy these 'scope through on-line auctions or will they be in poor condx?  A lot of them seem to have come from govt. surplus sales and now are being sold online.  

Also what other Tek models would be good and not too expensive (of course!) ?

I really will only be a casual usuer and don't need anything too sophisticated
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:15:09 PM »

hi Tom,

here is a yahoo group for Tek Scopes

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/

73 james
WB2QDG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »

Thanks -- I'll give it a shot
Tom
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »

PLEASE READ "BUYING AN OSCILLOSCOPE ON E-BAY"
at the following URL
http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-an-Oscilloscope-on-ebay_W0QQugidZ10000000001568756
Lots of good info there.

Personally, I'd be careful... but not paranoid.  Most of the time, you (at least me) are looking for trends in waveforms, looking at modulation envelopes, etc, and not really TOO concerned with DEAD ON FACTORY (LAB) CALIBRATION ACCURACY.. So, as long as the scope has a trace and the vertical amps and timebase are functioning correctly, it should be an OK buy. If, on the other hand you are looking for "PRECISION LABORATORY GRADE test equipment, then Absolutely DO NOT buy at auction, unless you have the seller's paperwork to back up the scope's last calibration cycle, etc.
There are a FEW good scope manufacturers out there and then there is a lot of JUNK. I like Tek (tektronix) I've got a 2236 I had for a short time, and an older 464, from a previous life, and wouldn't trade either of them.  They do what I want an O-Scope to do... sure I'd like the newest generation TEKs, but the price was "VERY RIGHT" on both of them.

Good luck Scope Hunting.
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »

The 465 and 465B scopes are a nice solid workhorse of a scope.  I've had mine for 20 years.  The 2200 series were an inexpensive scope, not built to the same quality standards as the 400 series, in my opinion.  The 2400 series are a high quality, solidly built portable scope family, but are also typically priced a bit higher.  Some of the 2400 series though, contain Tek proprietary ICs that are difficult to find if you ever need to replace them.

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:23:56 AM »

The 465 series scopes were great!
I can recommend the Protek 6510 if you are considering new.  It is well worth the money.

-Mike.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:11:54 AM »

Tek 2465B is a great scope (400 Mhz, 4 channel).  I bought mine on eBay.   The 2465A is 350 Mhz and a little cheaper.  The 2465 is, I think, 300 Mhz and still cheaper.  Be aware that all of the older Tek's are 20 or more years old (even the 2465B could be almost 20 ys).  So if it fails, might be hard to repair.  But great scopes.  
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »

I am a big fan of Tektronix scopes.  Still have my 465 and just acquired a really nice 2246a.  Ebay is good if you are careful and ask all of the questions.

Tektronix probes are another matter.  I have had serious problems with some of their probes.  I had a Heathkit probe that failed and its replacement failed as well within the warranty period.  Those were made by Tektronix.  Recently at work we had several fail.  The cheap $15 replacements seem more rugged.

My 2 cents

73, JP, K8AG

KG6OMK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 11:32:07 AM »

I recently bought an ebay Tek 465.  It's 20 years old and some day maybe it might break.  But these sell at such a low price that you can just buy another one.
I paid $120 for a dual trace 100Mhz scope. You can download the service manual too, the older scopes are actually servicable and use (mostly) generic parts.  Newer scopes use amny custom ICs that you can't buy.

Just make be careful when you buy.  If the seller can't produce a photo of a waveform on the screen assume that's because the scope can't show a waveform.  avoid the sellers who say "I don't know anything about scopes, selling as is"  This means "it's broken"

Scopes seem to come up on ebay in waves.  You will get a better price when many are available.  Wait for a deal and don't over bid.

My 465 works almost as well as new and I paid 1/4 the price of a new 20Mhz scope
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »

I bought a 30 mhz dual trace scope for about $400 from ELENCO, MN S-1325.  Does everything I need it for around the shack, then some.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:10:01 PM »

Tektronix 2230 series scopes can be the pits to operate, the menu system and the triggering were not that good... the 465 is a great scope...
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:01:41 PM »

I recommend the Tektronix 7000 series oscillosopes. They are large but they are available at lower prices than the portable scopes. The vertical and horizontal plug-ins are also inexpensive and widely available. When a plug-in fails, you can easily pull it out and replace it.
WB6SSW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:56:54 PM »

Tom,

The 465 is a great scope and current prices are a bargain.

However, the previous comments should be taken to heart.  A 465 in need of repair can be very expensive to repair.  Too many Tek parts are either extremely expensive or unobtainable.

So don't shy away from a Tek 465.  Just make sure it's in good operating shape and you'll be delighted.

Lee WB6SSW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: