Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-2200H for APRS  (Read 7966 times)
KB3QFN

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »

Hi,
I'm new to APRS.  I am planning to but an Icom IC-2200H and OpenTracker for APRS.  Has anyone used the same setup?  Good idea? or bad?
Thanks.
WX7K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »

I just bought the 2200H and while I don't have APRS running yet, the manual indicates that you can feed the GPS input directly into the 2200H data jack without using the tracker interface.  The ICOM advertising was completely lacking in describing the radio's ability to perform APRS functions.  The radio will automatically transmit APRS information while you are talking/monitoring other frequencies.  It will even display APRS position information on incoming packets, but you have to manually select this function.

Newell
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »

The price on an Icom IC-2200H ($140) would be great for a transceiver that could connect directly to a GPS unit... BUT... the blurb on Universal Radio is misleading. If you check out the info on the Icom website - http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/mobile/2200h/default.aspx - they mention APRS functionality only in the paragraph labeled "Optional digital unit UT-118", becasue you have to buy the optional board for it to do any digital stuff (including APRS), the UT-118 is almost $250.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I'd LOVE to buy an APRS-ready mobile unit for $140.

73 de Carl AJ4DW
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »

From the IC-2200 manual:

The IC-2200H with optional digital unit UT-115 can be operated for digital voice mode and slow data operation for both transmit and receive. Also available for connecting GPS receiver (compatible with an RS-232C output/NMEA format/4800 bps) and transmit/receive position data.

The IC-2200H can indicate the current position (Latitude and Longitude)when a GPS receiver (compatible with an RS-232C output/NMEA format/4800 bps) is connected to [DATA] jack. And also can transmit the position data and message to other stations.

What you get is D-Star voice and 4800 BPS D-Star digital data capability.  Along with that you get the ability to transmit your position via S-Star while also being able to receive positions from other GPS D-Star radios and display them on the radio display.

It does not appear that this system has any capability to output a data stream to device like OpenTracker.  Also, this system is completely separate from the conventional APRS network.
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »

Thanks Dennis.... that's even worse than I thought (but explains the high cost.... D-Star anything costs an arm and a leg).
WX7K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:58:20 PM »

HMMMM.  When I read the manual I made an assumption based on the way it was worded that the UT-118 digital module was needed for digital voice and slow data transmission but the GPS could be plugged into the data jack without it.  After reading your post and then rereading the manual I can see where I was mistaken.  Bummer.  I thought I had gotten the deal of the century.  

So, can a tracker be connected through the data jack leaving the mocrophone functional or will it have to be connected through the microphone connection?

The more I look, the more I marvel at how poorly this manual is written.

Finally, is the Kenwood 700/710 sseries the only radio to have the APRS functions built in?  I was specifically looking for a radio that would allow me to run APRS while still using the rig for other communications.
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »

Newell;

Our local APRS "guru" requested that we use an Alinco DR-135T (~$170) and purchase an aftermarket TNC board to install (the Argent board is $75, the Alinco DR-135TP which already has the board is an additional $100). So this unit can come with the TNC already installed.

However... looking over the various external TNCs (TNC-X and Tiny Trackr) it looks like they're more versatile (and they're cheap, around $100 or less).

I'm just learning myself... the Alinco will be the club's for our CERT trailer and I figure I'll learn on that and also plunge in there and buy a TNC-X for myself to learn more (that's the only way).

I too would like a mobile APRS rig that would allow you to talk on another frequency... maybe a setup where the rig would allow the APRS software to transmit on the subfrequency of a dual-band radio when the main band is not being used. Sounds like the 2200H will do that, but at a premium and only with D-Star compatible radios (not the generic APRS we're talking about).

"Mic-encoding" (I've seen this also referred to as "databurst after transmit") is a different bird, and one that I suspect we'll use during emergencies... this is where you're using whatever frequency you want and when you're done speaking and let off on the transmit key it sends a quick burst with your APRS info... your net controller can pick it up and display it just like regular APRS, but only the units on that frequency.

-Watching this thread to see what I can learn... AJ4DW
KI4DXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »

Does anyone have this setup: Icom IC-2200H, AEA PK-12 TNC, and UI-view 32? What kind of cable did you use from tnc to radio? I bought 2 cables from MFJ for this setup and am hard pressed to believe that both cables would not work (they didn't). Does the radio have a particular setting on it, or did I really get two bad cables in a row. I checked the diagrams and the pinouts are correct. What to do next? The Tnc works, the software is fine, the radio recieves audio fine. What next, any ideas?
N4VBH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »

You should be able to use the mic connection AND the speaker jack.  Down side is you'll probably have two cables from the radio to the TNC!  RX audio is not at the mic connector.
WX4GPS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »

I am using the IC-2200H with a TNC-X as a home digipeater / weather station its a overall great radio, and would work fine with a tinytrak or open-traker, but I do highly suggest a Alinco DR-135T with the Argent T2-135 board , $179+75 makes a very clean tracker when you add a Garmin 18x LVC ($65), I have this setup installed under my seat, the GPS ran through the center console and mounted under the dashboard and power runs to the radio via center console so nothing is visible in car and then I run the antenna lead to antenna that is perm. installed on trunk deck. does the smart beaconing and you can easily with the Alinco/t2-135 add a computer to it and run APRS in the vehicle if you were to want to track or use it for a public safety event. also has very good digipeater functions built into the T2-135. Also check out what it can do with a Nuvi 350 GPS.  a poor mans 710 with avmap5. haha  but it works.

If you go way of the Kenwood 710, can't go wrong, but nice feature of it, it will beacon what freq you are listening to via voice. and you can get a nice gps add on known as a GPS-710
KD0FQX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 05:15:55 AM »

So, just to remove all doubt, the 2200H cannot perform APRS functions without purchasing the "optional" $250 digital upgrade?
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »

If all you want is just a tracker, any radio and TNC comination will work. Tiny Trac, Argenta, Kantronics, AEA PK-232 and any TNC-2. It gets a little more complicated if you want to run software and a Laptop. I run a Nuvi-350, TH-D7, Argenta translation cable and laptop. Mobile Igate when in wi fi range, digipeater and message capability while running UI-View32.

73 de Lindy
VE7NGR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 11:54:27 AM »

KD0FQX: "So, just to remove all doubt, the 2200H cannot perform APRS functions without purchasing the "optional" $250 digital upgrade? "

The digital board does *not* give you APRS at all. It gives you DSTAR, which provides digital voice and data. The data can be used for position reporting, among other things, but it is *not* APRS.

The 2200 can be used for APRS in the same manner as any 2M FM transceiver, by using an external TNC or tracker.
KD0FQX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »

Huh, so much for the 2200 then.  The Alinco sounds like a much better match for me.
KE4NYV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 06:16:36 AM »

"Also check out what it can do with a Nuvi 350 GPS. a poor mans 710 with avmap5. haha but it works."

The Alinco/Tracker2/Nuvi setup is hardly a "poor man's 710".  In fact, I find it superior to the D710.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: