Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS keeps me in good health...  (Read 898 times)
K2FR

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »

Ever since, I got my VX-8R and set it up to track me..  I have picked up my bike riding.

Aprs.fi

look up K2FR-7  for the day Monday the 7th of September  Hauled my butt up a freaking mountain and tracked it =)

Here I am at a memorial on top of Mount Beacon.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/Andrew-Mennerich/7528_518602914097_65601225_30993087.jpg

I just throw my radio on my side strap, and off I go..  Its kinda fun seeing how far 5 watts on a HT will go.

I was able to hit a repeater 80 miles west in the Poconos  all with 5 watts FM..  

Shame its such a hard ride, up  maybe as Stronger, ill start carrying more gear with me, maybe an arrow antenna and really push that signal.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:09:03 AM »

I use a little MFJ HT mag mount antenna with my portable (TT4, VX-150 in a tupperware container) set up and it sure makes a big difference, small and light. Have fun!

73 de Lindy
N1KCG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »

So do you have a BREADCRUMB plotting tool to allow you to look at everywhere you have been while you are out?  

I am very interesting in this for tracking while I am out hiking.  Relatives can keep an eye on me no matter when or what the situation.  Nike hiking, rain storm hiking, blizzard hiking, or when ever.  very very interested in doing this with my Yaesu VX-8r.
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »

For an antenna idea, you might look at making a TV lead based J-Pole, taping it to a bike flagpole to get added height and something with better range than the HT rubber ducky.

I think even an end fed dipole would do better than the rubber ducky, strip back the appropriate amount of shield (19" or so) another appropriate distance down add two or three ferrite beads, and tape, or heat shrink the end fed dipole to the bike flag-pole.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: