Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-570S glitches  (Read 279 times)
ZS5SK

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:05:29 AM »

Where I live, we suffer from high humidity, and condensate on everything! I sprayed the inside of all my 2m radios, TV's and HF radios with an Australian product CRC 2-26, for use on Electrical-electronic-navigation equipment. My problem is that now, using the TS-570S, when trying to access 14, 18, 21, 24 & 28 mHz, the display disappears, and the radio will not receive/transmit. What can I do?
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 06:15:21 AM »

Your spray treatment may not have been as "harmless" as you thought.  But to apply the spray, you probably had to "open up" the case of the radio.  Recheck for loose connectors

Good luck.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:44:05 AM »

A dehumidifier in the shack is much less destructive that spraying stuff on the inside of a radio.

I agree, you have probably pulled a connector loose. Open the case back up and reseat everything.

Good Luck!

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:23:59 PM »

Most of the CRC 2-26 will evaporate in a few weeks but there will be a very light oil residue that can persist for months. As said previously, check for loose connectors.

It wouldn't hurt to leave the lid off for a week or so and put the radio near a fan, or some place with plenty of moving air to help dry it out.

Never change a password on a Friday                
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 05:58:58 AM »

Whoa!
CRC2-26 is a lubricant!  Used to remove corrosion, and to displace water... not what you really wanted to do!  Its OK to clean switch contacts, but not OK for coating a rig.
You want to remove power.  Then try to remove with an alcohol based cleaning spray, then use an air spray to try and dry unit.  Then let unit air dry for several days before trying to use.
Hopefully, you can save this thing!
Good Luck!

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: