Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spider Beam vs. Hex Beam???  (Read 4283 times)
AA5HP

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2007, 06:56:27 AM »

I am putting together a 5-Band Spider Beam and am really enjoying building it.
It is a great kit and has fairly clear instructions that, although you must convert to from metric to US measurements for every cut, is written very clearly in a step-by-step fashion.
My question, is has anyone else built one and used it?
I am really cutious as to how it compares to the Hex Beam.
I looked at the Hex Beam and a few other alternatives but for the price and the amount of bands covered, decided to go with the SpiderBeam.
I can't tell you yet how well it operates because it is not quite finished yet but will do so so soon.
I appreciate any feedback.
Joe AA5HP
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 07:53:10 AM »

You're going to hear a lot of bologna about antennas, most of which is suppored by totally useless data such as "I worked 25 countries in ten minutes with my XXXYYY" or "I can work everything I can hear".

The truth is size does matter, and so long as no one did anything wrong when building a small antenna they all work about the same. There is no magic and none of the small antennas, no matter what you read, will work the same as a full size antenna that is properly built.

The biggest difference on 40 meters and up is often just getting an antenna up away from ground and in the clear, no matter what type of antenna it is. once you do that even a simple dipole or vertical will work the world.

Put your antenna up and don't worry about it.

73 Tom
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »

W4RNL has a nice article comparing various compact, folded beams.

http://www.cebik.com/wire/4.html

JI's right though.  Just put up an antenna and enjoy it.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »

Hi Joe:

First: Save yourself some serious aggravation and stop by Lowes and pick up a metric/inch steel tape. Mine is a 10 Meter Kobalt branded tape that has proven as handy as a pocket in a shirt for antenna work.

And having a tape marked in 25ths of an inch is also nice when you start butchering wood. While I'm used to "four inches fat" meaning just a scosh over four, a hunnert two mickymils makes a tighter joint without digging a plane out.

Next, most smallish antennas are pretty much six of one, half a dozen of the other. What you gain here, you lose there. So put it up, hope for the sun to give one last spectacular crop of sunspots before it settles back to normal, and enjoy.

And do come up to 3.862 and visit with the Mississippi gang every once in a while.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
AA5HP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »

Thanks for the tip.
I have been doing the 1 inch equals 2.54 cm conversion for every length of wire that needed to be cut.
The a bunch of wire elements so my calculator was smoking for a while.
I must say though for what this antenna sells for, you sure get a lot for your money.
Joe
G0WSP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 12:46:10 AM »

Take a serious look at the Moxon - for footprint and performance it works best for me.
Like many other homebrewers I have tried versions of Hexbeam, Vk5abq, cobweb and spider but always come back to the moxon !.
Have fun and check out this site.
- vy73 Phil
http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/G0WSPmoxon.htm
KC9KSA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »

Did you get your Spiderbeam put up and how does it work?
How did you put the antenna up? I have seen all of the stories on how well it works, but I would hate to go through all of effort of building one and only getting marginal results.
I am planning on buiding a spiderbeam from scratch and I plan to put in on a 40 or 50 foot rigid conduit pole.

I currently just use two 40 meter dipoles fed with 450 ohm ladder line and they are up 50 foot. Europe, South Africa, Australia, and Japan are relatively easy to work with the dipoles, so hopefully the Spiderbeam would bring the signal levels a little higher.

Mike
KC9KSA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: