Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Framw for License  (Read 851 times)
KB1FRF

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »

I'd like to buy a nice wall frame for my amateur radio license. Something that is really nice.  do you know where I can get one?
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:20:21 PM »

"Google" Frames R Us.  (Really)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:56:45 PM »

hi nick,

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=frames

there are three stores in your area.

73 james
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:54:54 PM »

Michaels, A.C. Moore, WalMart, Target ...

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:12:42 PM »

I got about 9 different ones all framed in dollar store frames and I must admit they look pretty crappy.

I have seen frames by this outfit and they are rather nice don't know if they make the size you might want but you can check them out.

www.framingsuccess.com
KI6CFW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:52:25 PM »

Rather than standard off the shelf frames, it sounds like you want something more.  

Find a frame shop and have them do up something semi-custom for you, with a nice mat cut just the right size.  The Michaels stores mentioned by others usually have a frame shop as well as off the shelf stuff.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 03:45:10 AM »

Your local Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target and other mass merchandizers regularly stock frames costing anywhere from one or two dollars each up to twenty dollars for elaborate ones.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find something there.  I have bought some nicely finished wood grain frames and some simulated metal frames with gold leaf accents at various stores for the various licenses and certificates I have, and have never paid more than seven dollars for them.

I think its more likely you just don't want to go and look in those stores so you want someone else to do your legwork for you.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 03:48:14 AM »

These days, licenses are laser printed and the ink will "sublimate," jump off the paper and go away, if it is exposed to strong light, heat, etc. So I hesitate to display my original.

Personally, I cheat on the deal. I scan my license onto the same buff paper the FCC uses and keep the original in a fireproof safe. The ink is no more durable than the original - but it's still readable after ten years and the original is still pristine.

I have been thinking about copying my ticket on a light blue blank certificate, a la my original commercial licenses from the 1950's. That would give my ham visitors something to look at.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 05:11:48 AM »

OK, the license is good for 10 years.  Neither the paper or ink are archival... nothing suprising here!
For looks, I would get a wooden frame, and I would probably have a matte made from "buffered" board.  This is available at any frame shop.  Put it together yourself, Don't permanently mount it, and you will be pleased. Try not to expose long term to direct sunlight.

-Mike.

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:44:18 AM »

Aaron Brothers, if you have a store near you.  Best bet is to photocopy the original, cut it apart as directed, and put the larger original part away in your fireproof box, safe deposit box, buried in the backyard, or somewhere else safe.  Then laminate the original wallet size and put it in your wallet.  (Even if not absolutely required by law.)  Laminate the copy of the larger part, and mount in the frame of your choice.
    unless placed in DIRECT sunlight, a framed copy will not fade in ten years and lamination will preserve it from air pollutants.  Many office supply storee (as well as the big Staples, OfficeMax and Office Depot) will laminate a full page for around a dollar.

The current licenses are printed on a laser printer and no special "archival" paper is used, so they are just as susceptible to print "migration" or transfer to other substances (especially vinyl plastic) as any regular laser print or photocopy.  Lamination prevents the print from being transferred, and is recommended by the FCC.  It will not affect the validity or legality of the license.  And it's a good idea to always carry a copy in your wallet; if you visit a club station and want to operate, the first thing most will ask is to see a copy of your license to verify it's valid.  With visitors at our club, it's "no license, no operating."
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »

<< Best bet is to photocopy the original, cut it apart as directed, and put the larger original part away in your fireproof box, safe deposit box, buried in the backyard, or somewhere else safe. >>

To what end?

If something happens to the original, the FCC will print you another and it will look exactly like the one they sent you in the first place.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 12:08:48 PM »

WA9SVD wrote, "With visitors at our club, it's "no license, no operating.""

Wow, that's pretty cold! Remind me to never visit your club station... ever!

Besides, the paper license is no longer proof of having amateur radio privileges.

ยง97.7 Control operation required.
When transmitting, each amateur station must have a control operator. The control operator must be a person:
(a) For whom an amateur operator/primary station license grant appears on the ULS consolidated licensee database...

And even if the person in question is un-licensed, they can still operate your station's equipment as long as there is a control operator present at the control point. After all, that's how it works with Field Day...  and the other 364 days of the year!

Scott N0IU
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 12:26:45 PM »

Part II

Well, OK, Before you jump on my case for my comment about not wanting to visit your station, I do appreciate the fact that it is your station and you can set whatever rules you like. I call this the Speedo theory and it goes like this: Just because a Speedo comes in your size doesn't mean you have to wear one!

After all, I am not going to let anyone who knocks on my front door into the "Man Cave" and operate my equipment!

I apologize.

Scott N0IU
WB0IXV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »

Check out:
http://fan--nanenterprises.com/

For a nice license holder.

Also you can 're print' your license at:

http://www.ae7q.net/Generate.html

based on the FCC ULS database for a fancy red and blue license.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 08:04:15 AM »

For many moon the wallpaper from the 'C was "The License" but an argument can be made that if you're legal here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

You're legal... With or without the paper.

(but it's still good form to keep a copy of the lower section in your wallet just in case the question comes up)

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: