Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-02AT internal memory backup battery  (Read 1183 times)
N1KSN

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:08:07 PM »

I've just purchased a used IC-02AT HT.  Can anyone tell me where I can find information on replacing the internal lithium battery used for the rig's memory backup?  According to p. 46 of the user manual, this battery needs replacement every 5 years or so.

Thanks,
Andy N1KSN
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »

I bought an Icom IC-2GAT used in 1995. The manual for the IC-2GAT tells you the same thing - to replace the battery every 5 years. The battery was never replaced and the memory is still working fine. BTW, any lithium 3V button cell like the CR2032 will do fine when your memory quits. Keep in mind that you will need to solder the new battery in place. You might want to think about getting one with the solder tabs.
N1KSN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:18:44 AM »

Thanks.  I had a bad experience once trying to replace a backup battery on a Radio Shack HTX-202, but perhaps my skills have improved since then.  Many thanks for the reply and information.

Cheers,
Andy N1KSN
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:22:51 AM »

Remove the battery from the board.
Take it to a battery shop such as Batteries Plus.
They will weld the solder tabs on for you.
Reinstall the battery.
Be sure to press the reset button on the board.
I did this on a couple of Icom M5 marine radios.
It is made with the same board as the 02at, just different programming.
It is not difficult if you take your time.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:37:58 AM »

you can get the  2032 battery from  batteriesamerica.com  for about 3 bucks. with solder tabs.
good people to deal with also.
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »

To N1KSN:

Andy, I have the HTX-404 which I bought new in 2005. The battery crapped out years ago. I disassembled the HT at that time. It is one of those when I get a "round tuit" jobs. I still haven't gotten the battery to put in there yet, but that's how I know what it takes to replace the lithium cell in these HTs. For the past few years, the radio, the screws and other disassembled parts have been in a ziplock bag awaiting me to get a "round tuit". No-one uses 440 around here anyway. Come to think of it, 2m is rarely used around here also. I guess that's why that "round tuit" has been so evasive. :-)

It's not really that hard to replace the lithium cells in a 202, 404 or the IC2-GAT. It just requires close intricate work. Once you get the HT apart, it's just a matter of unsoldering the old battery and soldering the new one in. Then comes the pain-in-the-butt task of putting the HT back together with all those tiny screws. It's worth it to do it yourself rather than paying some tech to do it for you.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 08:33:35 AM »

a point was brought up about  all those little screws
etc when dis assembling an HT.
When I was working on hand held dictation equipment,
I had a small plastic cover from a medical plastic box.
about a foot square and  inch high.
had some edges inside which were helpful.
 I put it on the bench put the Hand held inside.
take apart over the pan. Can't drop anything on the floor that way. laid the screws around the outer edge in sequence.   needed to watch close as some were  sheet metal screws and some  machine screws.

sheet metal screws go into plastic, macxhine screws go to threaded holes in  metal. (rule of thumb)

one of those lids you get with cake pans to take the cake to granmas christmas party  work good.
buy  a cake pan, put lid in radio shop,  take pan out to garage  to clean  carburator parts in..

dual use for your money..

N1KSN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »

My thanks to all who responded to my question.  You were all a lot of help, and I greatly appreciate it.  

By the way, after using it for just over a week now I've concluded that the IC-02AT is a very nice radio indeed.  

Cheers,
Andy N1KSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: