Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new Plan - is it Okay ?  (Read 770 times)
IRABREN

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »

Thanks so much for all the replys and good info. I am brand new - but so impressed with how helpful everyone is in this hobby! I think it is truly going to be a great hobby for me - after trying many others!
My latest plan - considering small area, 4 dogs, and CCR restrictions - is to use a Force 12 Sigma 5 or other Sigma Model ( Huh) - on a tripod base or with a cement bucket - quick deploy - take down - when not working the radio - no radials needed, - Do I need an outside ground with this Huh How High off the ground should this Antenna Be Huh( its only 9 ft ) I plan to use an RF Choke at the antenna feed. Planning for an FT 950 transceiver, Heil Pro 781 Mic; Astron R S35M Power Supply; - now what do the "Folks" think of all this Huh
Many Thanks & Happy New Year!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:40:20 AM »

I think your proposed plan is a good start to get you on the air.

I'd caution  you that it takes less wind to tip over a 9 foot antenna in a bucket than you might imagine, so you may want to plan on some nonconductive guy ropes and buy some black braided Dacron rope (small twine is enough really)

You don't need to worry about grounding for an antenna you'll only put out while operating.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:52:12 AM »

N3OX makes a valid point... Might want to consider something with a larger footprint, like an oil change pan for the base. And, if you're feeling creative, build it with a short piece of PVC or EMT pipe in the concrete large enough to act as a sleeve for the base of the antenna.

That way you won't have to lug the anchor around whenever it's time to store the antenna. Put an inverted mayonnaise jar over the sleeve when not in use so it won't collect as much rain water. Move it around a bit in the summer so you won't kill the grass or need to trim around it.

Never change a password on a Friday                
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »

Now your on to a good idea there Ira. i am not sure how good of shape your back is in. but if you are young and health a 5 gallon bucket  with some cement would make a very nice base for it. All though i dont mean you need to fill the whole thing up hii hii. i mount a peice of pvc pipe in the cement that will permit the sigma to simply slide in and out of the base.

By Golly i really think your on to some thing here. Congratulations on becoming a ham and undertaking the spirit of it.
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »

Thanks - While the Force 12 Sigma 5 Antenna is only 9 ft , they do have a 30 ft mast - How high off the ground can I put this antenna ? I am thinking about a total of about 20 ft - (9 ft antenna plus 11 ft mast ) - Plan to use a lightweight tripod - rather than cement bucket - cause I ain't no youngin ( age 64 young ! ) How about other Sigma models compared to sigma 5 - like the sigma 40 xk Huh?
Thanks Again
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »

Also - forgot to ask - while I realize my plan could get me on air - BUT I want to do DX - Is that feasable Huh
Thanks
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »

BUT I want to do DX - Is that feasable ??

Yes for sure.  You'll eventually want to invest in an amp but what you're proposing will work.  I second the permanent base.  A tilt over will do OK also.
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »

Thanks again - What would be a good amp with this rig ( Yaesu ft 950 radio ) ??
K7JG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

Some thoughts from a close to newbie whose license came well after a CCR house. In this sunspot trough, the evening will likely be pretty quiet on the Sigma 5.

To get on the air, my first antenna was an 18ga black wire large horizontal loop lying on the shingles around the roof perimeter of a single story house. Tuned with an MFJ 949E and a bare K2 running 12 watts SSB, at the sunspot peak 5 yrs ago it hit the Ukranine, Japan, Finland, Russia, Italy, Spain, Portugal and so on. For reroofing I stapled it under the eves, where it doesn't work as well but is always there ready to go.

Because it fit my budget and bands, I have a camouflaged 6 BTV as well. Spray painted flat gray, it spends most time horizontal right next to a same colored eve rain gutter. A contraption of 2x6's, cord and pulleys disguised as part of the deck cover lever it up to vertical for operating. Black wire radials lie across the roof, stapled under the deck cover and across the kids former play structure in various configurations. Temporary turned into a couple years so everything needs more tuning, SWRs ranging from 1.5 to 6. The drawbacks are that as it is unguyed I can't use it during significant wind (I check the forecast) and I have to remember to tip it down(!).

John K7JG
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »

Now THAT is creativity!!
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »

Since you have decided to go with a tripod mount,  you might a look at this past eHam classic article at:
  http://www.eham.net/articles/17999  .    It would not only be a light weight fairly easy to put up base and probably provide enough stability so that you would not require guy ropes,  but would also provide some small measure of ground/counterpoise for whatever shortened vertical you plan on using.

Good luck.       Ed   K7AAT
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »

Looks like a pretty good start!  That Pro 781 mic is a "nice-to-have" not a "must have", by the way.
The antenna is a good compromise for 20 thru 10 meters.  Height will matter more for local coverage than DX.
Now, don't go pouring concrete in the bucket!  Use either sand or water... you will be glad you did!  And, if you off-set the mast in the bucket, it will be far more stable.  I learned this when making portable light stands.
You should be very happy with the FT950, its a well designed rig.  Now start thinking about 40 and 80 meter antennas!  I recommend loops, if possible.
73s

-Mike.

IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 01:00:07 PM »

Thanks All Again - for the good info !
Now I plan to use the Force 12 sigma xk40 - which should pick up 10-20 plus 40m - I plan to use a tripod from force 12 - am too old to carry the bucket - I might "kick the bucket " -- if I have to carry it(he he).
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »

Ira really it sounds like you have it figured out. experiment with the tripod and see how well it can keep antenna stabilized. if you have a place in your yard where youlike to mount the antenna. maybe just place a pipe in the ground at the spot with a small cap on it. and then when you wish to use the antenna just remove the cap and slide on the antenna.

That way you only have to drag out your antenna the rest will stay there. Matter fact if you have trouble bending over i have a cleaver idea. glue a magnet on to the under side of the cap. and then get your self a dowl rod and add the second magnet when you want to remove the cap just touch the dowl rod to it and lift.

Now by golly Ira it dont get any easier then that does it. And hey just keep the pipe level with the ground so you can mopw right over it. and no one will see when you dont want it seen Jeff,.
KD6CPA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »

Another thought that has worked for me, in a similar situation (4 dogs, antenna-Nazi CCRs).  

I bought an MFJ-1796 40-10m + VHF vertical on e-Bay for about $180.  New retail is about $250+/-.  It's a total of 12ft high overall, has a 24" horizontal footprint, and needs no radials.  It is essentially a multi-band loaded dipole tilted on its end.  I have it mounted on the eve of the house in the backyard, about 10ft above the ground.  (The instructions say you can mount it at ground level and it will be fine.)  The top of the antenna extends above the top of the peak of my roof about 18".  From the street, it can't be seen at all.

Since 4/07, all at the bottom of the solar cycle, using <100 watts (and in some cases QRP), I've worked Australia, New Zealand, Pitcairn Island and many boats in the Caribbean.  (Maritime mobile comms is the main reason I got into this hobby.)  As well as all over the US, Canada and Mexico.  (No Europe yet - the time of day the bands are available and my work schedules don't coincide.)

Just a thought, and has worked for me...

Peter
KD6CPA
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: