Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra class  (Read 1064 times)
N4MJG

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »

Hi All,

i'm going for extra soon ! i'm hearing that is harder than general.i know i can do this just matter of time .just like i did general i study card and computer on qrz.for the general like everyday and never gave up,now i'm going same thing i done with general don't gave up i keep on trying !

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/
hamradio since aug 2001
general lic since march 17,2007
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:53:52 AM »

You need to learn the concepts, not just the answers. The questions in all three levels of FCC Amateur Radio tests are grouped by topic.

Take the questions by topic and eliminate the topics that you already understand. Then study the topics that you don't understand until you start getting higher scores.

Not only will you get your extra class license, but you'll get an education as well.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:26:14 AM »

Amateur radio is a Journey, not a Destination!
Congratulations on the General, and keep working toward the Extra... but, be advised that the learning process keeps going after you get the Extra.
Memorizing the answers will get you the license, but understanding the concepts will stay with you forever!
Knowledge is power!  Keep learning!
73s

-Mike.
W6PEA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »

I upgraded this month from General to Extra.
The test was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
Just take your time and read not browse each question and each answer before you choose which one to pick.
I used the Ham Test on line and Gordon West's book and c/d when I did not have a computer available to use.

Keep up the good work.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:39:08 AM »

True Stories: A few years ago I was at a Hamfest and visiting with an OM who's in one of the clubs I belonged to. We were at a vendor table that specialized in antenna goods and my friend mentioned to the vendor he's been thinking about putting up a dipole for 80 Meters.

Asked the vendor how much wire he'd need.

Long pause in the conversation. All three of us are Extra's. I finally asked the vendor if he had a pocket calculator with him. Yes, he did. Asked him to divide 468 by 3.5... Oh, yeah, that much wire.

D'oh!

In early April of 2000 a dude shows up at a local VE session a few weeks before the CW requirement dropped to 5 WPM. Wanted to take the 20 WPM CW test so he'd be a 'real' Extra. They hadn't done any 20 WPM CW tests since the new rules were announced and couldn't find the Official ARRL answer sheet. Found the cassette but not the text. Four Extra's in the building at the time and I offered to take the applicant for a walk while they transcribed the tape by ear.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh........ No Takers.

Then I asked the applicant if he'd be willing to take the 5 WPM test four times since 5 X 4 = 20. Yeah, he'd go for that. They found the answer sheet a few minutes later. You shoulda' been there. Wink

Let's just say that making Extra doesn't require any Rocket Science and I agree with the previous comments that the license is a starting point on the path to RF Enlightenment... Not a destination!

Never change a password on a Friday                
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »

I have been an Extra for 25 years and still learn several new things every day. You will never learn it all and if you do you won't remember it all without refreshing your memory. My advise is to read the Elmers on E-Ham every day and see how things work in the real world. I read it every single day and find it to be the best source of knowledge and information to be had. You will see basically every concievable problem be solved or at least "attempt" to be solved. You don't get that in text books or practice exams.   73/ Bruce
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 05:23:24 PM »

You might enjoy reading a study guide.
Bob
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »

You might enjoy reading a study guide.
Bob
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 09:16:13 PM »

Hey, if I could pass the Extra, anyone can.

No electronic experience at all.  Math?  Heck, I went to law school to avoid numbers.  But, I can memorize.

Two weeks?  Perfect score.

But, as has been pointed out, it's just a starting point.  To me, the test really was just a firewall -- it got me just enough background not to be dangerous.  The real learning began after the test.  And, it'll go on until my body is almost as deep as my ground rod.

GL with it.

Peter, N4LI
AB8SG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:01:19 AM »

You can memorize the answers and get a license. You can learn the theory and how to solve the problems and get an education. Which way will give you a feeling of accomplishment?
W6PEA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:59:04 PM »

The basic problem is that people don't take the time to read each question.
The first time I tried for Extra I just glanced at each question I failed.

I took the time to re-read the book. Took the time to learn the theary, and then the procedure to solve the problems. I had to re-learn a lot of math, and how to convert fractions and degrees again.

I am very glad that I took the time to do this.

If you take the time to read each and every question you will pass Extra.

W6PEA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »

As N4LI said if I can pass the extra test anyone can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: