Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounted a radio in a BMW ?  (Read 1251 times)
KC2MPG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »

N6AJR: 50k ? Try 78k, Smiley
But I DO LIKE the cigarette plug idea!!! That Icom is small, and as most of you know the speaker is in the front. I can throw it in the glove box and pull it out for my commute to and from work. I never knew you could power a radio from the cig lighter! Tell m ehow to do it please.
As far as antenna I like the tiny trunk lip mount someone mentioned. I can bury the coax easily I think
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »

KC2MPG said:  "As far as antenna I like the tiny trunk lip mount someone mentioned. I can bury the coax easily I think."

Yes,  no reason that would not work out well for you.    That tiny trunk edge mount I spoke of earlier is the Antenex product  TM8 (chrome) or TM8B  in black.  I recommend you use a 1/4 wave wire antenna such as their QWB144 (black) for minimal visual impact and reasonable performance.  They also have a slightly heavier duty 1/4 wave antenna that will provide a bit more bandwidth if you are interested in 150MHz and higher too.   1/4 wave antennas on 2M  actually perform quite well as 440 3/4 wave antennas,  if that radio of yours is a dual band unit.

Details on the trunk edge mount may be found on this page:

http://www.antenex.com/index051206.htm .

The trunk edge mount has a rubber liner under the  NMO base to protect the car finish.  You will not find a lower visual impact mount anywhere.

Ed   K7AAT
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 03:52:09 PM »

"Heck, if we're so worried about damaging the car why not just leave the radio and antenna at home? You could become distracted and have an accident while using the radio so best not to have one at all :-) "

Apparently written by someone who does not drive a BMW 7 series.....     :^)

Ed
KC2MPG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »

Is there a specific type of Cig Lighter Adapter I need to buy? I immagine a heavy duty one? I think that radio has a 25 watt power setting which should work, I dont want to blow anything
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 06:37:13 AM »

Sounds to me like the car owns John rahter than the other way around.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »

<< W3LK, it may be the worst place to mount an antenna, but it is a mount that does not damage the car.>>

It's still a lousy location and lousy advice. Smiley

<< A lot of folks won't even use a trunk lip mount because it marks the paint. >>

Gee, imagine getting a scratch on a vehicle. I think folks need to leave their vehicles in a garage so nothing ever happens to them.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K2FIX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »

Icom 706 in a 03 330i.  I use a trunk lid mount clipped to the passenger side at the rear of the lid.  This is grounded to the trunk lid.  The head of the 706 is mounted to a wood block, which with some rubber, force fits into the ashtray.  It fits cleanly (very sano) in the nook between the shifter and the dash.

I use a 1/2 wave antenna for vhf and uhf.  HF is served (sorta) by a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna, which gives me good low SWR on 10 meters and good listening for CB 19 for road work. While a general, I've not yet put a hamstick on the car.

The 706 mounts over the battery tray.  The only holes in the car are the three holes drilled in the plastic tray over the battery.  The Wilson, while a magmount, has not scratched the paint as I use a plumbing seal to protect the paint. (home depot, 49 cents, cut to fit).

I'm wondering how to do an HF antenna....considering licence plate mount and a hamstick.  10meters is dead now.

KC2MPG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

I was actually looing at this antenna, I cant find any reviews. Do you use one? How is the performance?
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »

I had a BMW 535is and I sold it and bought a Chevy Silverado pickup truck.   This pickup truck is the best and most comfortable driving car that I have ever owned and it is a perfect vehicle for mobile operations.

My mobile rig setup is an Icom 706 MkIIG with a Hi-Q 4/80 antenna mounted on the back.  I also have a 144/440 rig because I like to monitor the 2-meter calling frequency when I drive while simultaneously operating HF on my 706.  For this I have the Yaesu FT-7800R which is really nice.

Therefore, I think the best advice I can give in setting up your mobile rig is to sell the BMW and buy a pickup truck.  Use the extra cash to upgrade your rigs and antennas and get a professional install from a place like CarToys or some other auto-stereo shop.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 04:27:54 PM »

"I was actually looking at this antenna, I cant find any reviews. Do you use one? How is the performance?"

Well,  I doubt you would find any reviews on these antennas.  They are commercial products, and pretty much generic.  The wire 1/4 antenna with NMO base is rather generic, although I think the Antenex bases are a bit superior.  I have used these same antennas, both the lighter weight wire one, and the sturdier 1/4 wave antenna for decades with no problems.  No matter the vendor,  a 1/4 wave antenna is going to perform pretty much the same as others.  The California Dept. of Forestry, CHP, and many other large agencies have used the Antenex VHF antenna with good results over the past decade or more.

One other antenna you may prefer is the new super Flex 1/4 wave whip by Sti-Co. ( about $30) It is a standard 1/4 wave for VHF, NMO base,  tunable by cutting,  and made of the new ultra-thin super flex material we are now finding on some HT antennas.  These will perform just as well as the stiff wire whips, and may be preferred if you want a flexible and even more stealth appearing antenna.

Ed   K7AAT
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: