Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cq calls  (Read 281 times)
KE7FAV

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »

what is the correct way to make and answer a cq dx
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »

I'd start with this:

http://www.eham.net/articles/18195

If you're calling CQ DX in general, just add "DX" after the CQ, and you're all set.  But most "CQ DX" calls are directional or specific, such as "CQ DX ASIA" or "CQ DX EUROPE," in which case add those qualifiers.

When answering a DX CQ, I'd keep the call somewhat shorter than when answering a domestic CQ.  If the signals are weak, use just your callsign.  If signals are reasonably strong, so you feel pretty confident the DX will hear you, you might include your state in the reply, or nearest big city, e.g., "This is WB2WIK, LOS ANGELES calling."

If you're tempted to use phonetics, use ones that are location-appropriate for the DX you're calling.  The "International phonetic alphabet" used by a lot of Americans who are *not* big DXers include a lot of words that DX stations just don't understand.  REAL international phonetics are easier for them...and usually are names of countries, capitol cities, stuff like that.  It's no coincidence that Japanese stations usually use phonetics like "Japan America 2 Yokohama Brazil Tokyo."  These are words that anybody will understand the first time they hear them, so they're very effective.

Good luck.

WB2WIK/6
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »

Best way would be to buy and read the ARRL Operating Manual.  Then purchase and read Bob Locker's The Complete DXer.

Quickie info has already been provided.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »

Joe,

In addition to to what has already been posted, "DX" in this case, means that you are calling/working stations outside of the Continental USA.

IOW, Alaska  and Hawaii are considered DX, while Arizona to Washington State would not be "DX".

To further confuse the issue, Arizona to Mexico would be DX even if the border is at your backyard! Same with us here in Washington, VE7's in British Columbia are "DX" even though they're just up a few hundred miles away, and Wahington DC, is a couple of thousand miles east of here.

On VHF/UHF, the rules are different. Here, another grid square over can be "DX" even though the mileage might be measured in tens of miles (times) the frequency in MHz!

Yeah, DX is funny stuff.

Just remember: DX IS!

73 Gary
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:33:22 AM »

If a DX station has already developed a pile up though, throw in your call once and once only on each round.  The exception to that is if the DX hasn't pulled anyone out of the pile up after a considerable time.  Do not be one of those lids who calls over and over and over and over.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »

WG7X on January 14, 2008       Mail this to a friend!
Joe,

In addition to to what has already been posted, "DX" in this case, means that you are calling/working stations outside of the Continental USA.

IOW, Alaska and Hawaii are considered DX, while Arizona to Washington State would not be "DX".
=========================

Of course, it depends upon the band.
    on 6 Meters, AZ to WA may or may not be considered "true" DX, but on 2 Meters it would!

But for U.S. Amateurs on HF frequencies, DX usually means outside North America (including Canada and Mexico) except perhaps Alaska.  Hawai'i still qualifies as DX for most Amateurs, even if it's not a difficult "DX."

Now, if I hear a fellow calling "CQ DX" over, and over, and over, and NOT getting a reply, I MIGHT give a quick call, say my callsign and add "for a comment," just to let the fellow know he's getting out.  (obviously, if he/she has been calling over and over, there's no DX hearing them.)  E#xchange calls, name, and signal report; if the station calling CQ DX wants to talk longer, it's up to them.  But there have times when I'
ve responded and the other station says "OOPS, wrong antenna," or wrong band, or whatever.  (It can happen to any of us.)  Otherwise, if there is no DX reply, a brief reply from a local or domestic station is probably OK.  And if not, the other station can say they only want DX.  of course, is there is ANY DX station(s) replying, no matter how weak they may be to your location, the proper response is to "shut up."  Just because you may not hear a reply to the calling station doesn't mean HE or SHE does not hear a reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: