Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 472 times)
KA2IDI

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »

Hi my dad passed 5 years ago and i have his old equipment. I dont know nothing about ham radios. Dont know thier value. im not keen on online sale. is there a place physically where i can sell the radios and amps?
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »

Hamfests/swapmeets/flea markets in your area?

Since KA2IDI is listed as a "Tech Plus", I'd have to think you know SOMETHING about ham radio...?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
ARRLBOOSTER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »

It is best to sell the equipment to me for Ten dollars. This stuff is just not worth much, anymore Wink
KF6ZLB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:14 PM »

At www.arrl.org you can search for clubs or hamfests near your zipcode.  There are 18 clubs within 20 miles of your zipcode, and three events (one as soon as Jan 13) also within 20 miles of your zipcode.  Contact information is provided.  A few phone calls from the contact information may get you some quick results.

To get started, go to the ARRL website, and look on the left side of the blue banner at the top of the page.  Click on "Clubs" or "Hamfests" and then search based on your zip code.

Doug
KF6ZLB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »

The 18 clubs and 3 hamfests were based on a zip code of 11552.  I don't know if that is your zipcode, but that is the zipcode listed for KA2IDI.

Another possibility is to contact a retailer.

www.hamradio.com is the website for Ham Radio Outlet.  Their nearest store to 11552 is the one in Delaware (about 150 miles away), I believe.

Doug
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »

The largest club in your area is the Long Island Mobile Amateur Radio Club (http://LIMARC.org), which will be holding an indoor Hamfair (flea marketing) not far from you in Levittown on Sunday, February 24th (http://limarc.org/fest.htm).

For information about selling your gear at the event contact LIMARC's president, Richie, K2KNB (k2knb@limarc.org)

For help in determining the value of the equipment, contact Lew, W2BIE (w2bie@limarc.org) who is a member of the club's board of directors and a retired salesman at a major amateur radio equipment dealer. He takes great pride in protecting again what he calls "vultures" who swoop in on estate sales and grab up ham gear at low prices from families who don't know its worth.

You can also contact Richie and Lew by phone. You can find their numbers at: http://limarc.org/officers.htm

To save yourself the trouble of selling the gear, you also could donate it to LIMARC, which is a 501c3 non-profit, and which will provide a receipt for the "fair market value" that you can take as a tax deduction.

Best of luck.

Mel - KS2G
ks2g@arrl.net
KA2IDI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »

thanks for the help ill look into that donating since i have no clue what the stuff is worth....and

to answer the other question...my father made me take the ham radio license when i was kid to talk to him on 2 meters...i really never used the license anyother time... but thanks everyone for your help

if im not mistaken i think my license is expired anyhow
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »

According to the FCC database, your license expired on September 2, 2007.

There's a 2-year grace period, so you can renew it any time up until September 2, 2009.

Renewal procedure info is at:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateur

Costs you nothing to renew for another 10 years.

Who knows, you might get interested and want to use it some day.

Mel - KS2G
ks2g@arrl.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: