Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elmer Concept is no longer relevant  (Read 3093 times)
WA4D

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:52:09 AM »

Ham radio loves the Norman Rockwell image of an old man helping the youngster. It is a tired myth promoted by the old guard. In the digital era it is not applicable.

A blog entry calling for abolishing the old elmer concept and a proposal for a new concept here.

http://mewcomm.typepad.com/wa4dnet/2008/01/end-the-elmer-c.html

It's time to set qualifications for being an elmer since there are none. Anyone can just claim to be an elmer. It's time to retire this quaint relic.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:09:54 AM »

Oh, for sure.  We must set standards and tests that have to be passed to qualify as an Elmer.  Then after you earn your patch, you can apply for "Official Elmer" status in your local area, pay the fees for adminstration and then those who need you can pay a fee to be hooked up with an official elmer.

What a great idea.
W4PBU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:18:06 AM »

I could not believe what I just read.
If the definition of "elmer" is "One who can help another with advice or instruction on a subject that the a person is not familiar with, then the concept of elmering will never be antiquated.
There are still a tremendous number of issues that we can be helpful with.
Sure, not many of us can help with digging into a modern day solid state rig as we could with the old hard wired tube stuff but that is only a very very small part of ham radio and with the popularity of vintage gear we can still be helpful even with that.
Think about it, there are rules and regulations, antennas,operating procedures, radio and propagation theory,basic station setup, and many many more areas where we can be helpful to the inexperienced or less experienced ham or would be ham.
Come on, that is what ham radio has and always will be about.
Shame on you.
Dave W4PBU
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »

From the blog page of the topic originator:

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear on this weblog until the author has approved them.

This weblog only allows comments from registered users. To comment, please Sign In.

----

Yep, we can surely trust the author to give us a balanced selection of comments both pro and con.  AND, I have some great building land in FL, soon as they get it drained and the gators offen it.
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »

I can think of a thousand explitives to respond to your writings. I shall only use one. You sir are wrong and offensive !!!
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »

Let’s make life in general more restrictive.  More rules, more regulations, more police, more education.  I suggest that if a person can't handle the freedoms this country has to offer, then move somewhere else.  We are all stocked up with this kind of BS.  Is this guy kidding?
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »

Move along folks, there's nothing to see here.
N5KBP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 10:13:19 AM »

Thanks for the chuckle this morning. Isn,t this article about 4 months early?

Marty
N5KBP

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:40:06 AM »

Good, then we can get rid of these silly eHam forums and just close down the site, right?  Since you don't need us anymore, and I'm not that old, at least yet.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »

This guy started trolling before the term was invented, and yet he still manages to reel 'em in.  Amazing.
AB8SG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »

I agree with the OP. He and many others were born with all the innate knowledge and skills necessary and have no need for "elmers". They already know if the whine and cry someone will feed them and change their diapers.
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 11:59:13 AM »

Holy cow!! This crank is the epitome of anal-retentive.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »

Post From WA4D
(It's time to set qualifications for being an elmer since there are none. Anyone can just claim to be an elmer. It's time to retire this quaint relic.)
"I could not believe what I just read." I agree with  W4PBU  A elmer is anyone who is familiar with a subject that guides you in the right direction to help you get started.  
Now days we have the Internet to find lots of information but you still need someone (a live person) who has experience to show you the ropes. A person who had tried that done that.
I would like to find a elmer to help me get into satellite communication I have the radio and antenna equipment, but lack any know how, as what to do. Book & Internet information is good but book & Internet information just doesn't compare with someone ( a live person) an ELMER.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »

Errrr.
What was your question?
After all, this is the Elmer area where one can ask for help.

Sometimes I wonder how such a simple concept/rule eludes some adults.

Bob
W2DAB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »

"Digital era"... ? where do people come up with this kind of stuff?

There is a predominant attitude that I have seen in the very young (teens to mid twenties) that computers and the internet have made everything older irrelevant.

I can't disagree more. The missing element in getting all your information in wiki's, web sites (even ones as good as this one) and social networking online is a lack of trust.

Personal contact with an older experienced person is something to be valued, not feared. I recommend a balance of information from various sources, but the "elmer" is a key component to enjoying and learning from others mistakes. You gain more by listening to this type of person, the stories and experience give context to successful operating.

73 and good luck in your journey.

David
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: