Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 737a for CW  (Read 274 times)
KE5EKO

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2008, 07:18:29 AM »

It may be a question I should know the answer to, but here goes.
I just picked up a 737a and am attempting to hook up and use a straight key with it. As soon as I plug in the straight key, switch to CW, the built in keyer takes over and transmit's at the speed set on the control. I haven't figured out to shut it down. There is a button on the back of the radio to switch it on/off and it's in the off position. I checked the polarity on the key plug and it's according to the spec's. As a matter of fact, I have switched the polarity and it makes no difference.Is there another button the manual isn't telling me about or is there something in the menu system that I don't understand.Thanks in advance for the help..Mike
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:15:36 AM »

Hi Mike-

I've never owned a 737A but on my Yaesu, the book says to use a stereo plug no matter what kind of key you're using.  If you're using a mono plug, you might try a stereo one.  Just a thought...

Good luck!  Those are nice rigs...

Tom
VE7BGP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »

Hello Mike
Are you trying to use a 2 circuit key plug on your hand key? Like a lot of older radios that include Built-in Keyers you need to replace your 2 Circuit Mono key plug with a 3 Circuit Stereo Key plug and leave the ring open. I have an IC-751A I needed to replace my plugs on my hand keys with 3 circuit 1/4 inch stereo Headphone Plugs or you get slow dashes when you turn off the Keyer switch. My Yaesu FT-GX family also needs Stereo Headphone Key Plugs. Easy fix for your problem Mike replace your Key Plug on your key cord. Enjoy your IC-737 my friend that unfortunately became a SK had one they are a great radio. See you on 40 around 7.013 some time.
Gerry VE7BGP
KE5EKO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »

Thanks for the input....I'll give it a shot and see whats happens.......Mike
KE5EKO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »

I said it was a question I should have know the answer to.
Althought the manual says nothing about using a stereo plug, it does have a diagram/picture, and after careful examination of the diagram/picture, I see that it is a stereo plug....Thanks to all for the help...Mike
KC6WGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 02:49:24 PM »

I owned ic-737a before and I used dual phone plug and you can select one of the input to activate the straight key.
Good luck and 73 Gideon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: