Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My boat anchors  (Read 1298 times)
K1PX

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2000, 10:40:32 AM »

I still have my Hallicrafters SX-100 and WRL Globe Champion from the old AM days. I've started a restoration project to bring them up to snuff even though both of them work fairly well. Anyone else doing a restoration on either of these specific rigs?          
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2000, 05:38:59 PM »

I became a Boat anchor owner by accident! I have been remodeling my home (the never ending project) amd had aquired a very large pile of scrap in the back yard. It was the once a year free dump saturday and being cheap I wanted to take advantage of this. So loaded the old truck up and off to the landfill. I was directed to a pile for the scrap wood to unload my truck and with this done took off for the scrap metal pile. Backed the now almost empty truck up to this pile and started for the back. As soon as I rounded the corner of the truck I spoted it! A Collins R-390A receiver on the ground between three old lawn mowers and a burned out BBQ grill. After a few moments I started breathing again and managed to get the scrap metal out of the truck and load the R-390A into the truck! Got it home and then getting in the shop past the wife I removed the still intact covers. It was ALL there! Meters, filters, tubes and all. Checked the numbers and it was a Collins receiver! Will start restoring it soon, I have not even pluged it in to check because I dont want to blow the filters or anything like that. My Friend that collects boat anchors could not beleave it! He has the required tools to work on it and in a few months should have a nice R-390A operating in my shack, by accident!
AC5WA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2000, 04:02:25 PM »

Such things as finding a complete Collins RX in a dump ARE NOT ACCIDENTS!  You must either have great ham radio Karma. Either that or you are being tested or perhaps cursed by the radio gods.  You may have been "entrusted" with something that you will never get to work but is too valuable to throw away.

This proves one thing though.  THEY ARE OUT THERE and the price can be RIGHT!
KG4IIV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2000, 05:57:45 PM »

I RUN A HALLICRAFTERS SX-101 RECIEVER AND HALLICRAFTERS HT-32 TRANSMITTER AS MY MAIN STATION WITH A HEATHKIT SB-221 LINEAR    
MY BACKUP IS A YEASU FT DX 560
I DO NOT OWN ANY MODERN EQUIPTMENT
WL7CKJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2000, 08:50:28 PM »

I saw your post with no very recent response and wondered if you had found a source for the kind of info you sought. My project is an Atlas 350XL that won't receive. Is there a good place to find help troubleshooting?
KF2TZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2000, 09:50:55 PM »

Hello. Thats great! I found a radio once, not as fancy as a collins but this is what happened. I was on leave from the army, 2 weeks last thankgiving 1999. Me and my family went to visit some freinds. It was raining lightly and we parked on the street next to the curb. As we walked to our freinds house I noticed 2 pieces of radio equipment sitting on the curb, put out for trash. I loaded them in my van, took them home and cleaned them up. They turned out to be a Heathkit SB-610 scope and Heathkit HW-32a 20 meter monoband. Both work good. Have made alot of contacts with the HW-32A. Alot of fun to use the old tube radios. My small Heath collection can be seen at  www.qsl.net/kf2tz/heath.html
73 all! Greg.
KC5MFA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2001, 05:27:02 PM »

I just purchased my first boat anchor.  It isn't as popular as the Collins or Drake gear, but I like it just the same...and the price was right.  It's a Swan 500CX with the matching power supply/speaker.  My first real contact with it was the Czech Republic.  Pretty neat radio for $100.  
AD6W

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2001, 03:21:30 PM »

N4ZOU, what a great story. I love to hear about old rigs rescued. I once happened by a neighbor's house a day AFTER she put thousands of NOS vacuum tubes out in the trash. Her husband retired years earlier from his own radio business with most of his inventory. He was an old Ham buddy, but she didn't contact anyone before tossing them out. Sad! The good news is I've had many old rigs come my way because I'm widely known as "the old radio nut." I think I've had one of everything at one time or another. My old high school called last year to tell me they cleaned out the old club station and "everything was going in the dumpster in case I wanted it." I rescued the HQ180, GSB100 and amplifier that once belonged to my Elmer. They were in the first Ham station I ever saw. I told a friend who stopped at yard sales I'd buy anything Collins he found for $50 or less. A few months later he brought me a 75A3 and told me I owed him the $12 he paid for it. Old radio stuff is hidden everywhere, and much of it is in the hands of non-hams that will one day throw it away. Ham gear only has value to Hams.
KE4DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2001, 07:33:41 PM »

The other day, when my boss found out I was a ham, he asked if I would be interested in an old radio that had been sitting in the back of a closet for years.  I said "sure", he brought it to work and I took it home and plugged it in.  It works!  It is a Hammarlund HQ129-X.  I'll probably re-tube it, repaint the cabinet to look like it originally did and keep it as a conversation piece.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2001, 11:23:30 AM »

I once replied to a 2 meter swap net interested in the lot of tubes up for sale for $35. When a arrived at the hams house, I was shocked. I stuffed my pickup truck box about 6 feet high with boxes upon boxes of all new tubes. Explained value to ham and he said just give me $35 and get the junk out of here. He was tired storing these in his garage and wanted the room back. Sold a few at a time and made a few thousand dollars! The stock appeared to be NOS from the US Coast Guard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: