Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jupiter or Omni 7?  (Read 502 times)
NK8A

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »

Hello, I am just looking for any opinions on having  a TEN TEC Jupiter or  a Omni7. I presently have a Jupiter and really enjoy using it on CW which is the primary mode I am interested in. I wonder if I upgraded to an Omni 7, would my recieving weak signal DX CW improve greatly? Thanks for any information...Dave...NK8A
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »

While there are a number of benefits to the O7 versus the Jupe, sensitivity isn't really one of them.  You already have an MDS of -135dBm which is way more than really usable on most bands.

The O7 has better dynamic range, on par with (and maybe slightly better than) the O6+.  Honorable mention department, and well in the top 5% of radios out there.  Both of these specs best the Jupiter, but it might not be noticeable if you aren't running in a big-gun contest, with major league antennae.

The best thing you could do to improve your DX capability is improve the skyhook.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

The Omni 7 is a really close equivlent of the Jupiter, with so additions, like the internet access.  For a real boost look at the orion or orion II. they are a super rig with dual recievers and have a better rx ability. They are also quite a bit more flexible.
WB6MMV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

Hi Dave:  I have a Jupiter and two Omni VII's.  The rigs are similar in operation so upgrading to a VII will be extremely easy.  The receiver options on the VII are better than on the Jupiter especially with the 500Hz Collins filter on the VII. For crowded cw work, the edge would go to the VII, but as has been pointed out, both rigs sensitivity is already good.  Scrutinize the feature set of the VII to see if its increased features are important to you.  In my case I find that I tend to gravitate towards using the VII's because of little things like the color screen, etc.  You can't go wrong either way, but I have found the VII to be a pretty good upgrade from the Jupiter.

Ken WB6MMV
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »

I'd ditto those last comments.

I have a Jupe, and do not own an Omni-VII (yet) but have used one for a weekend and got a pretty good feel for it.  I like it.  The feature set is better than the Jupe, although operation is very similar.  I think it's a reasonable "upgrade," although as mentioned earlier, if you haven't already invested heavily in the antenna system, I'd do that first and upgrade the rig second.

WB2WIK/6
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »

Actually, the Omni VII's performance is only second, and a very close second at that, to the Orion II. And for my purposes, DXing with some casual ragchewing at the moment, the VII would be well worth the difference.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »

For the price of the Omni VII's you could buy a Pro-III or a K3.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 04:25:55 AM »

For the price of an Omni 7 you could buy a Pro III or a K3? Well - yes.

But in the first instance you would have a Pro III. And while many swear by it those of us who have used a top end Ten Tec swear at them.

In the second instance you would have a back order slip and a long wait. And while I have hopes for the K3, and intend to setup a rig shootout when one becomes available, the Orion and Omni VII are VERY close to the theoretical maximum receiver performance level.

And you can get an Omni 7 today.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 05:10:49 AM »

Antennae are on bugs. Antennas are at contest stations.

That aside, I'd look carefully at measurements in equipment reviews like QST. I'm not particularly warm and fuzzy over the Omni VII because the SSB third order IM on transmit is only around a -27dB and the close spaced receiver DR is 80db.

For my use on big antennas neither spec makes me feel really good.

If I operated lower power on SSB or did not work weak signals close to very strong signals it would be a great rig, but I have to be a little more fussy than accepting mediocre performance in some critical areas.

The important point is how you use the rig and how the numbers affect what you want, not what others might be happy with. I'd never be happy with any rig that is less than around -35dB SSB third order on the transmitter because I don't want to have a wide transmit signal. I want the highest possible close spaced IM dynamic range because I work weak DX and I am in a quiet location. Your goals may be different.

If you live on a city lot and have small antennas, low power, and are limited by local noise any rig would be great. It would mostly the bells and whistle features you notice.

73 Tom

N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 06:09:02 AM »

Tom with all due respect your not particularly warm and fuzzy over any thing that Tentec Makes are you?

I some times can not help but wonder if you hold some sort of grudge with that company.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: