Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair of SB 220  (Read 1513 times)
AH6TM

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2000, 06:24:42 PM »

I have a SB 220 which was plugged in and turned on with the cover off.  The safety switch was not deactivated and something was smoked.  I have searched the entire unit for the problem and can not locate it.  Can someone help?  Thanks
NU7J

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2000, 11:05:39 AM »

I suggest you post your question on the amplifier reflector.  There are a lot of SB-220 experts there who will be able to assist.

See website:

http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps

Tom, NU7J
W4IIV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2000, 03:03:26 PM »

go to www.vcnet.com/measures/
WA6GDU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2000, 12:49:04 AM »

Go to Rick Measures posting on the SB-220.  He describes in detail what goes wrong (and what's right) with the SB-220.  Copy and paste this site:

www.vcnet.com/measures/cisb220.html

Good luck

marlin
WA6GDU
WT8Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2000, 12:43:45 PM »

Did you check the diode's in the high voltage bridge?
You could have taken one or two of them out..
WB2WJF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2001, 04:11:26 PM »

hi chris,

i have a 220 with the same prob. i smoked it myself when i turned it on with the cover off. have you found the problem and if so can you steer me to the answer.
thanks, and 73    ross
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2001, 04:32:51 PM »

Simple troubleshooting methodology works.  Press the interlock switch down (so the HV is not STILL shorted to the chassis!), grab a V-O-M and measure the resistance between the B+ line (power supply side of the plate RF choke) and ground.  It's bound to be something less than it should be!  (It should be tens or hundreds of kOhms.)  Begin methodically disconnecting sections of the HV system until the resistance increases to something very high, taking notes of what you're disconnecting so everything can be placed back in order correctly.  Normally, this method will reveal one critical component that has failed.  Since you say something "smoked," obviously use your noise to try to sniff out what failed, too (no joke), if something burned, it is likely to still smell that way.  OF COURSE ALL THIS SHOULD OCCUR WITH THE POWER CORD UNPLUGGED!!!  Likely candidates for failure in the SB220 are the plate RF choke and the power supply voltage doubler rectifiers.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2001, 02:37:15 PM »

Harbach Electrobics has moved their web site (and location)

Useful SB-200 and SB-220 parts / upgrades

http://www.harbachelectronics.com/

G. Beat
w9gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: