Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters HT-32A Feedback/low power  (Read 1028 times)
KD7KOY

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2001, 11:09:18 PM »

I just acquired a HT-32A and SX101A. The problem I have is a "sqeel" when I key the mic. I have tryed various mics and all the same. The Turner 454C I have currently wired to it does the same. I cannot go further than "1" (1 lowest and 10 highest) on the audio level or I also get a "reverb" effect. Both TX and RX is grounded as well as tuner etc. Checked and double checked. I'm at a loss for any solutions. Also low power on 10 and 15 meters. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Jimmy
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2001, 11:34:15 AM »

Jimmy -

In this combination you must make sure that your receiver is MUTED when you transmit.

If you do not have the manual to show you how to wire this up, their are some "boat anchor" web pages that show various configurations.

Boatanchors are not "plug and play", but that was part of the learning curve 30 years ago as a Novice.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 02:21:03 PM »

...or, in the case of the HT32A/SX101 combination, more like 40 years ago.

The rear of the receiver has a set of screw terminals labeled MUTE which must be shorted together in order for the receiver's speaker or headphone jack to provide any output, and must be opened to place the receiver into the STANDBY mode when the transmitter is operating.  That was normally accomplished by external contacts on the T/R relay used to switch the antenna.

Definitely refer to the manuals!

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2001, 02:38:16 PM »

Okay, first your "squeal".  This is feedback from the reciver speaker getting back into the microphone (just like the sound checks at rock concerts). The SX-101A receiver needs to be "muted" when the HT-32A is transmitting.  Check the interconnection cables between your HT-32A and SX-101A (loose wire?, plug your forgot to conencted?).

The HT-32A manual has the correct interconnection diagrams for the SX-101A.  If you do not have the manual, go to the Boat Anchor Manual Archive, Al Parker, W8UT donated a copy of the HT-32A manual to the archive.

This page has all of the interconnections between the HT-32A and SX-101A for proper operation can be found at:
http://ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/hallicra/ht32a/ht32a04a.tif

The external antenna relay referenced in the diagrams is usually a DOW KEY Antenna Relay with 110 VAC or 12 VDC coil (if you do not have one, new ones can be obtained from many amateur dealers or DowKey directly)

Your "Low output" report, since the HT-32A is a tube transmitter, you should have all of the tubes checked on a good tube tester.  
Again, using a dummy load and a reliable RF/SWR meter check overall output on a few bands (80 meters, 10 meters)  Final tubes can exhibit lower output at the higher frequencies (10 meters) as they "age"

G. Beat
w9gb
K3SUI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2001, 10:51:19 AM »

... Not only do you have to handle the "mute" terminals on the back of the receiver properly, but the "standby/receive" switch should be in the "standby" position all the time. It's shorted out by the terminals and goes open on transmit. If you let it on "receive", the receiver will never mute even though the contacts are properly connected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: