Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the FT-2800M  (Read 388 times)
KC9LKW

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:20:57 PM »

I feel a little silly asking this, but i am a new ham i guess. I have the ft-2800m, and i am having a problem. I have 3 repeaters programed in it all with the same frequency, one with no pl, and the other 2 with different pl's. I am hearing the same guys on all 3. I do have the pl tones programed in, but am not sure what else i have to do. And whatever i have to do, do i do it with each frequency, or just once? Any help would be appreciated. If it is no problem, give me the steps i need to fix this, I have a hard time understanding things sometimes.

Thanks
                                        Roy
                                        kc9lkw
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »

I don't own one, but if it's like most other VHF radios, you have several options. You can set the tone for transmit, receive, or both.

I do know the manual isn't clear on this, so you have to dig a little.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:55:58 PM »

Isn't it also required that the repeater transmit a PL tone on its output frequency as well as require it on the input.  I have read that not all repeaters will transmit a PL tone.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »

No, it's not a requirement for the repeater to transmit the same tone on it's output, or any tone at all.

I use PL as kind of a link control, with different PL's on the output based on what activity is going on.  The PL  is the same as the input when the repeater is receiving something on it's input, a different PL when it's coming in on a link, and yet another when the phone patch is active.  A trivial exercise in logic with programmable PL encoders and an FPGA as glue logic.  With such a scheme you can only listen to repeater traffic, only link traffic, or only phone patch traffic.  Listen with carrier squelch and you get everything.  The tone drops in 1/2 second but the carrier goes for 5, so you could use the PL tone as a COS signal for a crossband repeater if you wanted.  Lots of neat things you can do with independent TX and RX PL on a repeater or link.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:37:26 PM »

Ask the repeater owners who DO use a tone to access if they pass the tone through to the output. OR, you can find out yourself by setting each channel to not only TX on tone, but also to RECEIVE tone.

Instructions are on page 24 of your manual. After setting to TX and RX tone, test each system to see if you hear conversations when operating "closed tone."

I live in the most populous region of the nation's most populous state, and the coordination of repeaters "feels" more organized here than the scenario you describe!

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KT4LF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »

This doesn't answer your question, but there is a lot of info on the Yahoo group for the 2800M..
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 04:17:30 AM »

Each repeater is different, you will need to check each for proper setup.
But, most PL tones (CTSS) are used for you to access a repeater (activate its receiver), and are not transmitted by the repeater.  So, when you are listening on frequency ANY transmit signal will activate your squelch.  The PL tones are used so you do not key up more than one repeater at a time.
Some repeaters are now using a digital coded squelch on receive... you need to determine what is being used in your area.
The FT2800M can be optioned for just about ANY repeater setup being used.
73s.

-Mike.

KC9LKW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:54:46 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, this helps. I will look into it, and see if i can figure it out.
KD8AFO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »

I am somewhat of a beginner but your post doesn’t make sense.  You have 3 repeaters in your immediate area on the same frequency?  One of the repeaters has no tone access-if so it would open up on every signal, even if the signal was directed at another repeater.

Perhaps these are linked repeaters?  If you can give us the call of a specific repeater that would help.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »

On a Yaesu look for the "TSQ" (Tone Squelch) setting in the menus or manual to limit which repeaters can open your receive, not just TONE, which only operates on transmit to let you into the repeater. The untoned receiver will only open your FT-2800 if TSQ is off, the others will only open it is the TSQ is set to their transmitted tone.  
KC9LKW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »

I am sorry, but there was just 2, one i found listed in separate areas was actually the same one. There are still 2 i hear the same people on though..

146.940  pl 136.5  IU ARC in Bloomington,In
146.940  no pl     WHAS tower in Louisville,Ky

I am about 60 miles or so from either one, but hear them clearly. It isn't a big problem i don't guess, but i would like to make use of them without having to try and figure who is on what repeater.

Thanks so much...
                                      Roy
                                     KC9LKW
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »

Get a beam antenna.
Program one channel for PL tone use.  Program another channel without PL.
Point antenna in the direction of signals.
Enjoy!
73s

-Mike.
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 09:22:02 AM »

In addition to WA3SKN's suggestions, use the minimum power necessary to maintain a reliable signal into the chosen repeater. Your signal doesn't have to be 100% full quieting, just as long as it is solid and copiable. If you are receiving both repeaters as well as you say, a good narrow beamwidth Yagi and 5 to 10 watts should be plenty to access either machine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: