Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Push up pole?/Mast?  (Read 4565 times)
N6YGG

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:30:42 AM »

Does anyone know of a decent push  pole or small mast that would support a MA5B and a small (TV rotor?) I have looked all over the internet and no one seems to address the issue of weight etc.  I would like to go to 35' guyed.  I had a nice tower but the city took care of that! Most masts I have seen are very light and are fine for dipoles.  Anyway..tnx and 73

Neal
KA7ZIS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »

Give this a try....

http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/0612/mountaccess.html#masts

I believe you can find them at LOWES.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:05:42 AM »

I do use two Channel Master "50 foot," (about 46 feet fully extended) for dipole supports. But since they are intended for light TV antennas I would not use one for anything larger than a 3 element 6 Meter antenna. In fact, mine are only out about 30 feet in order to keep things sufficiently rigid to support a dipole without guying.  

It's a bit of a pain, but if you cannot find something more substantial, such as two coupled sections of "2 inch" or larger water pipe or "schedule 80" pipe, with the lower end sunk at least three feet and concreted in, double guyed, will support a tribander and a light rotor.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
N7PHL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »

Neal,

I have a post just below yours (Aluminum/fiberglass) where there is discussion.

I found an outlet for metal pushup as well as aluminum/fiberglass, in the LA area. The 40' Rohn pushup will be about $150, and that is supposed to include shipping to me. Might be more to you. I'm about halfway between you and the distributor.

I'm on QRZ, e-mail me if you want me to hook you up with them.

Phil
N7PHL
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »

I had one up for a while on a push up mast. I use a 4 section and left the 1 inch piece doubled up inside the top section., not used and only ran the rest out about 75 % so I had good overlap and drilled and pinned the pipes. I also used 3 sets of guys and set the base in 2 bags of quickrete.  it did ok. so it was up about 25 feet or so and was also bracketd to the house at about 12 feet.

look in the middle right picture and you will see it nextm to the fireplace chimminy

http://hometown.aol.com/catfishtwo/N6AJR.html
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »

Remember, don't forget torque and wind-loading when planning a lightweight mast... its not just the weight that matters.
73s

-Mike.
KC8ZTJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »

I saw a 30 foot push up at Lowes recently in the tv antenna area.  If I recall correctly, it ran around $45.00.  
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »

Rohn 50 foot push up.

You can keep the sections about 12-18 inches shorter
, For added strength. Mine has been up three years, and has had a pretty good dose of 45-60 mph winds. It has a Hex beam and med rotor on it.
Good luck
JohnB
k3jvb
N6YGG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:05:08 PM »

Thanks a bunch to all who have responded.  You guys are a great help!

KG6PHS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »

Neal,

I use 4 sections of heavy-duty 16 gauge steel 1.25" mast from Radio Shack. They sell 5 and 10 foot sections. They have fitted ends so you can stack them. They are painted gray, and the 10 foot one is only $20.

I have my Comet 333 VHF antenna on it, and my G5RV mounted offset
from it, and at 35 feet, it has held up well.

Kit, KG6PHS
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kdrosenlund/
KC9GUZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 11:45:27 AM »

Every single Lowes around here has stopped selling any TV antenna products. I bought my 30' push up pole a few years ago from my local Lowes and the salesperson advised me to buy them all up because they would not supply them anymore. I have mine up 30' and it supports a 2 element 10/15/20 meter tibander. I have guyed the heck out of it, but shes holding up well even through some vicious winter windstorms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: