Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rudeness in the 75/80M DX window unacceptable  (Read 630 times)
AJ4CU

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2008, 06:06:50 AM »

Hi All,

I was just sitting doing some paperwork in front of the rigs (this was about three nights ago) and had one tuned to 3.800.
For quite some time the freq was silent except for the normal static crashes and noise, then came a very strong and clear signal asking if the freq was in use, the op used proper procedure, clearly asking if the freq was in use and identifying himself, this he did twice and in hearing no reply after a few minutes he started to call "CQ".
Now correct me if I am wrong but 3.800 is right in the middle of the DX window and there is no rule regarding where one may call CQ.
So with that some crusty sounding miscreant came booming "why are you calling cq on this freq?"
The other station replied "I don't understand"
The miscreant replied "you don't know much about radio do you?" the good op replied "I guess not" and went away.
The miscreant never identified himself and was as rude as can be.
I thought of replying to him and letting him know just what an ass he was but I realized I would just be lowering myself so I figured I would post here and see which miscreants come out to flame me and that would identify the ones who behave the same way.
Folks the rules are clear noone owns a specific freq if you have been meeting your "bud" on a specific freq and someone is using your freq well jeepers there is a whole lot of band to find using that knob attached to the VFO!
Also, how else will one call in a DX window to find contacts??
I will continue to call call CQ where I please (according to the rules that govern us all of course) and will qsy if the freq is in fact in use.
I will also happily forward a signed complaint to the FCC of any amateur that is rude or behaving like a lid.
OK the Nomex is on flame away and let's see who the miscreants are....

73  de  AJ4CU
KF9BD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 06:56:49 AM »

Apparently they are cowardly as well.  By the way, well said.  

Danny
N1QOQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:00:19 AM »

I guess that must have been the other stations frequency and he didn't ask to use it. Some people act like they own the freq and will throw carriers and tune to try and get you off it. It is the same as they guys that tune and start a qso 2kc away because they have been meeting there for years and you should move not them. But contrary to some opions this has been going on for years before the no code changes. Listen in the am window and you'll hear the battle between the am'ers and the ssb'ers. United we stand, divided we fall.

Paul
N1QOQ
WA4ONV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »

One more reason I still solely to CW. You don't find that kind of operators that often. Nuff said...lol

73, Joe  WA4ONV

CW lives...!!!  SkCC 3316C, Fists 10551
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »

No Flames from me. i do not see much  differance between 75 meters and 14.275 other than there just more of them on 75 meters.
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 08:18:50 AM »

I agree that no one owns any frequency. I have seen this little skit played out at various times through the years. It is a sad thing and I am really glad that it is the exception and not the rule. For one thing if the complaining station did not identify his station, then he was the one that was illegal! We all need to be very thoughtful of the other operators at all times. We are also supposed to be good ambassadors for our country.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »

Normally I wouldn't respond to a post of this type, but a couple of things are worth mentioning.  That type of rudeness is always out of place in our hobby.  Those prone to such behavior would do better to think about what they'd say to the person if they were face to face.  

Having said that, there a few things that any ham who operates the HF bands ought to know.  First, the old and informal "DX windows" were never places for a US station to call CQ looking for DX.  You were supposed to LISTEN in those windows.  In the old days on 160 meters when the DX window was strictly observed, DX stations would call CQ in the window and end with something like: "QSX 10", meaning- I am listening at 1810.  The system worked just great and we worked a lot of good DX, even though the power limit was 100 watts.  The system broke down over the years, partly because fewer and fewer US amateurs knew what QSX meant (and couldn't bother to find out), and because of the attitude that no one owns any frequency.  Indeed true, and you can certainly legally call CQ anywhere you feel like it.  That doesn't make it good operating practice and it doesn't make it "right".

The 75 meter SSB mess doesn't need to be the way it is.  The band from 3.600 to 3.700 is pretty much deserted in the evenings and there's plenty of space these days above 3.825 or so.  Many of the guys who hang out in and around the window on 75 know what they're doing and it's being done just to frustrate the DXers.  Others are just sitting on the same frequency they've used for the past 40 years.  

Personally, I make it a point to know where the DX areas of the band are, and where PSK31 or RTTY are commonly used and where the QRPers hang out.  It would be perfectly legal for me to park my KW on one of those frequencies and call CQ on CW, but I'd never do that.  Others do it routinely to exercise their "rights".

Anyone planning to call CQ on any mode or any band these days owes it to the rest of us to know where the special areas are, and to check the free DX spots to see if there is currently a DX station on that frequency, perhaps operating split.  Frankly, much of the poor behavior in this regard comes from the group that I refer to as "angry old men".  Being in that age group myself, I feel free to use that term, but I'll never understand the behavior, their ignorance, nor the lack of plain common sense.  
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:15:25 AM »

Eighty meters is the only band I don't operate on and have no desire to go there. I am not alone.
K7JG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »

Greetings - FWIW:

ARRL Band Plans
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

The "Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide" Band Plans
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/conop.html

Very extensive listing
http://www.bandplans.com/index.php?band=All

IARU Regional Band Plans
http://hflink.com/bandplans/

DX Zone links to band plans
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Ham_Radio/Band_Plans/
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:48:42 AM »

Since you seem to be new to eHam, this is the Elmer section, where people get to ask questions.

Your complaints and declarations belong in the Speak-Out section.

Bob
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

Wow.  just wow I say, this is totally new news!!! Huh
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »

Those rude dorks are just CBers who finally got their ham tickets.  Best way to deal with them is to blast 'em, just like they do on 11 meters!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: