Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft Start Module for Ameritron AL-811H  (Read 3655 times)
NG1I

Ignore
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:58:44 AM »

Hello All,

Can someone give the info where I can order the soft start kit for the Ameritron AL-811H amp please?

Thanks
Frank
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »

Ameritron sells Inrush Current Protectors.
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »

Try http://www.harbachelectronics.com/main/page_products_other_parts.html.  The SS-100 is the one that is used on the AL-811H.  However, I have a softstart module installed in my AL-811H that I did not have to put together. I just installed it by rerouting and soldering some wire.  Let me check at home and see who I ordered it from and I'll get back to you.  It works very well!

Bert @ KA2UUP
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »

Harbach soft start modules used to be sold preassembled (as were thier other modules) now they are sold as kits.  The soft start kits only have a handfull of parts so assembly should only take 30 minutes or so.
Allen
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »

Frank,

Why would you want one???

Tom
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »

Frank,

The address is www.j-tecradio.com and the part is the SS-811.  However, the problem is that the website is not working.  Best bet is to try the site from my previous post.  From KN5N's information, seems that the Harbach site is the best bet.

Frank asked a simple question.  He asked for information on a slow start module for the AL-811H amplifier.  Some of us gave the information to him.  Why should we question him on why he wants one?  It is his prerrogative to put whatever he wants in his amplifier and to spend his money any way he wants.  People ask, we give answers, pure and simple.  That is the problem with this site and with some in the ham community.  Provide an answer, do not question why someone wants to do something with their equipment.

Sorry for the tirade, but that is why some of us do not even ask questions in this forum.

Good luck, Frank!

Bert @ KA2UUP  
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 10:21:12 AM »

Frank,

The power supply on the 811H does not draw enough initial current to warrant a soft start unit. Especially if you have the unit wired for 120 VAC.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »

Is your AL-811H blowing on/off switches or something?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »

>RE: Soft Start Module for Ameritron AL-811H  Reply  
by KA2UUP on February 29, 2008  Mail this to a friend!  
Frank asked a simple question. He asked for information on a slow start module for the AL-811H amplifier. Some of us gave the information to him. Why should we question him on why he wants one? It is his prerrogative to put whatever he wants in his amplifier and to spend his money any way he wants. People ask, we give answers, pure and simple. That is the problem with this site and with some in the ham community. Provide an answer, do not question why someone wants to do something with their equipment.

Sorry for the tirade, but that is why some of us do not even ask questions in this forum.<

::As all Russians know, sometimes the best answer to a question is another question.

If somebody came on here and said, "How can I increase the output power of my 100W rig to 1000W?" that would likely meet with a lot of rhetoric, including questions.

WB2WIK/6

Good luck, Frank!<

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 04:15:59 PM »

It is valid to question him in case he wants to learn something.

The AL811 doesn't benefit at all from a step start except perhaps for switch life.

So if he has a rocker switch life problem then the step start will help, but so would a better switch. If he is worried about tube life or anything else it is a waste of time and money.

If someone wants to buy a copper bracelet for his wrist I would ask him why. This is a similar case.

73 Tom

WD8FM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »

Frank,

Why would you want one???

Tom

Why not have one?Huh??
WD8FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »

Try http://www.harbachelectronics.com/main/page_products_other_parts.html.  The SS-100 is the one that is used on the AL-811H.  However, I have a softstart module installed in my AL-811H that I did not have to put together. I just installed it by rerouting and soldering some wire.  Let me check at home and see who I ordered it from and I'll get back to you.  It works very well!

Bert @ KA2UUP

Very easy to assemble and install the SS-100 from harbach.  Took me about 30 minutes.
WD8FM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »

It is valid to question him in case he wants to learn something.

The AL811 doesn't benefit at all from a step start except perhaps for switch life.

So if he has a rocker switch life problem then the step start will help, but so would a better switch. If he is worried about tube life or anything else it is a waste of time and money.

If someone wants to buy a copper bracelet for his wrist I would ask him why. This is a similar case.

73 Tom

Well if this is the case, then buying an external unit from Ameritron would also be a bigger waste of money as they cost twice as much as the Harbach SS-100.

73 Frank M
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:17:20 AM by N8GME » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »

Money and time could be better spent than putting it on a AL 811H with uses same LD transformer as AL811.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: