Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 746 Pro set-up question  (Read 281 times)
N3ZC

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:10:03 AM »

When setting up for split operation, or tuning around on 40M (on my 746 Pro)..when the freq get's above a certain point (say, 72-something), the rig keep's switching from LSB to AM mode. There must be a way to set this thing up so when I tune above a certain point it doesn't automatically switch to AM mode...If I hurry-up and set it up for split operation on 40M SSB..it'll just flip back to AM mode when you transmit..I (somehow) get it to stay on SSB eventually by pushing the SSB button when checking the TX freq..but after it goes back to the way it was..flipping to the AM mode..I'm a bit on the "hyper" side..so I probably missed it (or am not seeing it) in the manual...There's probably a quick 2 button solution..but I don't know what it is....
                Thanks in advance!
                             Tom  N3ZC

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:17:52 AM »

I do not have a 746pro, but look in the menu options for auto band mode switching, on or off. My TS-50 has a menu # to turn on or off, I'm fairly sure.
Maybe the 746 is similar.

73 K1WJ
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:08 AM »

I think there is the possibility that TRX Manager need's to be taken off "Auto" Mode (Band-wise)..I hardly ever tune with it..but I DO use it when the rig is running..Bet that's what it is!..Will check when I get home from work...

73'.Tom  N3ZC
N1QOQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:05:24 PM »

Thats ok I've had my pro for 3 yrs and it has never done that. And I operate both modes. I have never seen that in the manual also. If you are using the band stacking some how to switch I could see that happening or the memory,but not with the vfo. See what every body else has to say but it might need to be reset. I'll be watching as well.

Paul
N1QOQ
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »

Have you tried a complete memory re-set? You will be required to reset and parameters that you have programmed, but you will eliminate any possibility of it being a defect in the rig.
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 06:32:38 PM »

I had a 746Pro for several years and never had that problem. Are you using some kind of computer radio control software? If so, disconnect the CI-V cable and see if the problem goes away. Could be your software. If not try to reset the radio. You can also ask on the 746 forum on Yahoo groups.

73, Bob K2QPN
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »

I assume you found that your computer control software was switching the mode when you tuned above a certain frequency. My IC-746Pro and IC-746 before that never exhibited that behavior. Sounds like the software is set in a European configuration and assuming above a certain spot you are SWLing in AM mode.

73, Dave, N4KZ
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:59:59 AM »

"I assume you found that your computer control software was switching the mode when you tuned above a certain frequency. My IC-746Pro and IC-746 before that never exhibited that behavior. Sounds like the software is set in a European configuration and assuming above a certain spot you are SWLing in AM mode. "

Exactamundo!..The only thing I had not checked was the TRX Manager..(it actually never crossed my mind..to be honest)..I emailed Laurent (of TRX Mgr) & he said it came defaulted to "Auto Band" mode upon install..and you can "off/on" it or set up your own band setup.

So..thanks for all the input guys!

73'   Tom  N3ZC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: