Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOPE THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE?  (Read 249 times)
KC9LKW

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:17:32 AM »

Me and my wife are new amateurs. We are both disabled, for now anyway. We are on a limited fixed income. Is there a place we can get some kind of HF radio on monthly payments? We are anxious to get on HF, and i would love to be able to participate in some of the nets. She is taking online classes in criminal justice to get of disability, and messed up back or not, i need to get doing something before i go crazy.But for now, we are stuck without a HF radio. Just wondered if there was a place with a payment plan?  

Thanks
                                    Roy
                                  kc9lkw
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:34:56 AM »

I suspect that most dealers can't justify offering financing.  (The liability is great enough and the volume is low enough that it's not a good risk.)  Although, I think Ten Tec will finance if you spend enough money; but, it's probably more than you want/need to spend.

Your best bet is to find an individual who will finance or lend you a radio.  But, by the time you do that, you could probably drop $25 into a jar every month and get a radio after a year or so.
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:37:26 AM »

You can get a Small Wonder Labs SW+ rig with enclosure for under a hundred bucks. You can use two wires to key it and dollar store headphones. Can you afford it? I just worked a guy with one on 40CW yesterday. Mine is for 20 meters so I have to wait for better conditions.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:05:39 AM »

Talk about disabilities, my tombstone will read "He came into this world with nothing, and still has most of it left." You can get monthly payments by using a credit card or bank loan, but I'd look around for used equipment first. I saved $400 by buying my first rig used, then I got on 10-meter FM with a $2 used CB radio and $20 worth of parts to convert it. You can also look at kit radios, like the $55 Small Wonder Labs monobanders, as already mentioned--you get half the fun from building them yourself, and the other half operating them.
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »

TenTec will sell a new radio to you with four monthly payments charged to a credit card or debit card.  That might put an Argonaut V within your budget.  It's a nice radio.

Another possibility is to look for a used rig from a member of your local club who will let you test drive it before buying.  This can be the best way to buy a first rig--it gives you an Elmer who knows that particular radio.  
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »

Do find a local club, and if you can't go to their meetings contact them anyway.  Let them know your interest in the hobby and your limitations.  Very likely over time they will introduce you to used rig opportunities, including the support you need to get on the air.  A lot of rigs from the 80's and 90's are still in use, and often their operators prefer the controls on these rigs.  
AB8SG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:44:19 PM »

Roy,
We were hoping to surprise you, but the weather has put a kink in any plans for the past few weeks. I shipped my TS-430 and mic for you to use as long as you need it.
We just haven't been able to deliver it to you yet.
Don't go in debt, as several of your friends are going to see you get on the air soon.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:22:33 PM »

Kelly, that is a GREAT solution to Roy's problem. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: