Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone remember Hornet antenna Company?  (Read 7430 times)
KE6JZ

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »

Does anyone remember the "Hornet antenna company" based in Duncan, Oklahoma?

This company manufactured tri-band beams and I don't know what else.

I'm looking for any information on the company. I am restoring one of these beams and plan to put it up on the tower in the spring.

The beam seems to be of very high quality. Did this company build their own components or sub contract them to another company such as Mosely. The trap design is similar to Mosely.

Any history will be appreciated. I think the company was ultimately absorbed/bought out by Swan who continued to market the antennas under the Swan brand.
I also may need a replacement trap. Will know in the spring when I test it.

OK...this challenge is to all the Hams licensed from the 1970s and earlier.Tell me what you rember. There has to be a bit of nostalgia here.Hi-Hi.

Thanks & 73
Shane KE6JZ
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:49:53 AM »

I have been licensed since the late 60's, and if my memory serves me right, you are correct on everything you stated in you post.  Sorry, but I cannot answer any of your questions.  If you need a trap and if they are not available, maybe you can take a good one apart and see what is inside and duplicate it.  Also try putting an ad on the HAM sites to see if anybody has one of these beams lying around for parts.

Good luck.
K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:15:37 AM »

Hello from Reno Nv. I believe they advertised in the ARRL handbook..73 Bob k7rnv
BOBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

Name rings a bell.  

Found this so far:
http://www.vk3ajj.com/documents/cubex_quads.html

This one wont load:
http://www.tcdxa.org/June2006Grayline.pdf

This kills me, and I am not even a legal ham yet. But I remember that name from when I was a kid.

Sunday is test day.... WooHooo
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »

My first beam was a second-hand Hornet tribander (with the carpet beater wire loops on either end of each element), installed on a 40-foot second-hand tower.  I'd been using a Hy-Gain 10/15/20 ground plane up to that point, and I'd worked some South America/Asia/Oceania DX with it, but I'd never heard Europe at all.  

With the Hornet, the very first station I heard, on 15 CW, was G3BK.

Never has been a thrill quite like that.  Yes, I worked him - and a couple dozen more Europeans in short order (my being in Nevada at that time didn't hurt, since at the time, Nevada was very thinly populated, ham-wise.)

Won't ever forget the Hornet, (Thanks to W7MWF-SK who sold it and the tower to me.)

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »

My first "store bought" antenna was the Hornet TB-500.  Sold for the great sum of $49.95 in 1960, and was built like a tank.  3-element tri-bander.

Was a Novice at the time, and running a DX-20 (50W input CW) and an AR-3 receiver with an IF about a mile wide.  QTH was on Long Island, NY.

Anyway, got the Hornet installed, turned it toward the NE, put out a CQ on 15 meters, and holy cow......answered by a guy in Belgium!!

Yep, it worked just fine!!

73, Jim/k7unz
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:16 PM »

Hornet built all their own componants. I bought one at a hamfest in 1991 with ALL of the traps burned up. The fellow had loaded it on 17M.  I looked for traps that would fit but found none.  The plastic spools in my traps were burned so I could not just rewind them, which was my original intent.  I considered using Cushcraft A3 traps, but by the time I bought 6 of those I had the cost of a new antenna in it.

I built a 15M monobander out of it and worked the world. Sold it when I left New England.  They were light weight but stood the weather well.

Clint - W5CPT

NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »

I have a Hornet tri-bander in my shed that I acquired a few years ago from a silent key estate. I got the original manual with it. I was told the antenna worked good, but have never used it myself. If you don't have a manual I would be happy to send you a copy.    Bruce/NU0R
K1XV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »

I seem to recall that they made a knock off of the infamous and notorious Gotham Vertical.
WA2EEW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 06:06:58 AM »

I still have a Hornet in my attic as a spare, and the Swan version still in use. It has survied many storms through the years. Sure there are many newer beams that can out shine this one , but it has lasted and put out the sugnal in a very dependable manner.

Have the manuals on file. If you're interested in a copy let me know.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »

When I used to work in Duncan, up until about four years ago, I used to drive by the factory-home all the time. IIRC, it was on Walnut or Oak Ave between about 3rd and 4th Streets, on the south side of the street. I think the owner died some time ago, but the family still had some parts available for antenna repairs. I still may be able to find a contact in Duncan area for you, to resurrect some of the history of the Hornet company.

Stew, W5FYI

KE6JZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »

Hello Stew,
Thanks for the information. Contact information would be neat. It seems as though the company or part of it was sold to the Swan Corporation.I have manuals and diagrams for both the Hornet and Swan beams. They are nearly identical. Swan was located in Oceanside, California so I wonder where the final manufacturing facility for these antennas was located.

Thanks,
Shane KE6JZ
KC9GUZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »

Ahh yesss the Hornet tribander! I know an old timer here that still has one up and it is on top of a 40' American tower. The whole thing has been up since 1979 or so. He hasn't used it in years and would like to take it down and clean it up and put it back up. I offered to help him out, but he can't find the directions. Anyone know were i can find a copy online for him?
K0HBZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 10:54:30 AM »

Boy, this has been a fun thread, talk about a stroll down nostalgia lane!  

I still have what I believe is a Hornet Tri-Bander with the wire egg-beater ends that I acquired used between 1957 - 1960 and put on a 60 foot tower in Colorado Springs as a youth. I helped a ham take it down and replace it with another antenna -- so he gave it to me in return for the tower-monkey labor.  I was in junior-high school at the time and recall carrying it (ALL of it) partially disassembled on my shoulders about two miles from his house to mine -- had to be one of the longest walks I ever took!!!  <];-}

I built a Heathkit DX-50 (as I recall, maybe one of the other DX models) as a novice, then later built a Heathkit HX-20 and HR-20 pair that I still have in a box in my garage somewhere.  I later added a Gonset linear with four 811-As.  

I put that Hornet up and worked the world with it, an incredible antenna -- was very close to WAC by time I went off to college in 1966.  

I've been wanting to restore it and see if it is still functional, but have been lacking the documentation as others have mentioned.  

At any rate, some folks in this thread did mention having documentation, so will contact them and see if I can get a copy.

Thanks everybody for sharing your stories about the Hornet, this has been fun!

73 Wes K0HBZ
Section Emergency Coordinator
ARRL Colorado Section

W5FFS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »

If you still have a manual for this antenna,I would like to have one.
tnx,
John, W5FFS
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: