Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help needed TS430S  (Read 211 times)
SP9HZX

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:39:28 AM »

Hi guys,

Something has happened to my TS430S.All works fine except 20m band.No TX out and nothing heard.It happens exactly within 10.5 -16Mhz.Though ALC and Ic meters show something nothing comes to ant tuner on 20m.

The problem is that I am on bussiness in really remote area and I havent any meters at hand.Only some spare parts and soldering gun.I cant imagine my stay here without this basic band.

I have internet here and access to diagrams.
Can anybody give me any suggestions?
I suppose it can be BPF in RF Unit or filter in Filter Unit.Am I right?No ideas at this moment.Without meter it is difficult.

73s
Andy sp9hzx

http://www.qsl.net/sp9hzx
http://republika.pl/sp9hzx
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »

If you tune the RX across 10.5 MHz do you hear a relay click? Same thing at 16 MHz? Chances are you do, or did before you lost TX on 20.

Very likely it's a relay or filter gone bad on the TX bandpass filter board. Had that problem with an Icom. RX worked fine but no TX. I have a TS-690 which is the HF plus 6 Meter version of the TS-450 and it definitely uses relays to switch the output filters.

If you're lucky it could be as simple as a bad solder joint. If you can pull the filter board, look for a blackened solder pad under one of the toroids or relays. Clean it up and re-solder... Might do the trick. Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:26:36 AM »

Seeing as it affects only the 20M band, AC5UP's hint is a good place to start. Relays RL6 and RL13 kick in at 10.5 MHz and out again at 16 MHz. You might check them--they're on the filter unit board, and make sure that you're not hearing relays RL5 and RL12, which kick off at 10.5 MHz, and RL7 and RL14, which kick on at 16 MHz. Relays RL6 and RL13 are controlled through a 100 uH choke at pin E of plug 3. Since you travel with the rig, the problem may be mechanical; i.e. a connection came loose somewhere inside the rig, or one of the filter inductors broke loose. Check all of the connectors going to the filter board, the switch board, and the RF control board (gently pulling each off, the putting it back on should break any intermittent open circuit). Beyond that, you're on your own. Good luck.

W8RPE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:22:37 PM »

Andy,

Before tearing the radio apart why not try cleaning the relays as instructed by Kenwood in a TSB they issued.  I have done the cleaning and it is very simple.  The only parts needed are a 12v power supply, wire and a power resistor. I will email you off the group when I get home this evening with the details.  It may fix your problem without having to remove even one case screw.

Ron
SP9HZX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »

Thanks guys for advice,

I am soldering all suspected joints,checking relays and so on.
Cleaning relays is a good idea,too.After 25 years replacing them with new ones would be the best idea.
Hard job without measurements but I am full of hope.
Again, thank you for all suggestions.
I will let you know about results

Best 73s

Andy sp9hzx

www.qsl.net/sp9hzx     http://republika.pl/spearo
SP9HZX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »

Hi guys,

Thanks again for advice.Radio is OK again.
Relay RL6 is damaged/ coil/ so I replaced it with the one  
from 4-6.5 Mhz

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: