Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7000 vs. 746 Pro - tried them side by side?  (Read 1705 times)
N5KNG

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »

Hello All,

I am getting ready to buy another base unit, and I am torn between the 7000 and 746 Pro.  I have no need for mobile operation, and don't operate any higher than 2 meters.  I value easy access to passband tuning, and filters.  All my regular operation is SSB - 80m, 40m, and 20m.  

I am under the impression that the DSP software, especially for noise reduction, is better in the 7000, but I also understand that the basic receiver performance statistics (e.g., as reported by QST and Sherwood) favor the 746 Pro by quite a bit.

What I'd really like to know is, from a practical standpoint, which one works better (and how much better) to separate SSB signals when they are close together in the real world.  For example, maybe the fact that the 7000 has two manual notches makes up for the fact that its blocking dynamic range is not nearly as good as the 746 Pro - or at least, nullifies the advantage to some degree.  

Also, is the 7000 much harder to use on a daily basis, once you've got it set up to where you like it?  I think if the 7000 works pretty much as well as the 746 Pro on a day to day basis for ragchewing (given our usual atmospheric static and operators that like to set their signal close by), then I'd favor the 7000, since the display is pretty nice.  However, if the 746 Pro is much easier to use for ragchewing, and more easily fights interference from close-by SSB signals, I'd probably favor the 746 Pro.

What do you think?  Which one would be better for me?

Thanks for your kind consideration and 73's.

N5KNG
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »

I have owned the 746Pro for about 2yrs. and have played with the 7000 but not side by side. The Pro is a great rig, the rcvr is far more selective than the 7000 and in most cases you don't even need the pre amp on. Its notch is fantastic and the dual PBT works great. The front end of the pro is much better in terms of selectivity than the 7000, it seem from what I have seen not far away from most of the rigs that are a kilo buck away on price. Sure the 756PIII would be nice but IMO the 746P does a great job and even when running splits its display gives you everything right there.The qst lab test and even the sherwood lab test on DR and blocking are much better. Forget the color dsplay it just looks cool.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »

I traded my 746 PRO in February for a friends 7000.In my opinion the 7000 is just as GOOD if not BETTER than the 746 PRO.The 7000 is VERY close to being as quiet as my 756 PROII but NOT quiet.I am using the 7000 NOW in my pickup but used it several weeks in he shack before going mobile with it.If I were going to use the rig as a "BASE RIG ONLY" I would prefer the 746 PRO because of it's size ONLY!I am NOT much of a 440 band user so that made ZERO difference for my own usage or choice.I only used the 746 PRO on 6 & 2 meter SSB anyway in my shack & as an HF backup rig so I just no longer have 2 meter SSB at home UNLESS I pull the 7000 out for some 2 meter SSB(100 watts a PLUS)activity(NONE here in EM80 a LONG time)so NOT an issue for now.You will be VERY happy with either so ENJOY whichever you decide upon! ICOM RULES!!! ):>)

73's,
Clayton
W4KVW
N5KNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »

Clayton, I am curious.  You say you would choose the 746 Pro based on size.  What did you mean by that?  Is it because it is hard to use the controls on the 7000?  Or is it hard to access the passband tuning an filters? Or ... ?  My hands are probably medium sized - so I can handle smaller controls if that is the issue.
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

I saw an interesting test on youtube using the 7000 to block out a strong wwv signal...it's as good as the PROIII...I owned the 746PRO for one afternoon and sent it back--- hated the display---noting touches the PROIII except the 7000 which is just about the same----from my ears anyway. After owning the PROIII, well you can keep the 746PRO and two meter which I have not been on in twenty years --good buddy.
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »

I have owned the Icom 746Pro for about two years. I have never used the 7000. I can tell you that I am a casual operator and work some DX, especially IOTA. I can't imagine a guy needing a better radio than the 746Pro. The twin passband tuning will shape the filter anywhere form 3 kHz to 50 Hz, that is right, 50 cycles. I have many HF rigs and I would put the 746Pro against the best of them. It is one of the best buys in Hf radios right now. There is my 2 cents worth. Mine is only one opinion and your mileage may vary.   Bruce
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »

I owned a 746Pro for about 3 years. It was a great radio. I would still have it today but I got a deal on a 756Pro3. Since then, I bought a 7000. No side by side. My tin ears think that the 7000 receiver is about the same as the Pro3. That would make it some what better than the 746Pro. The difference is small. I would recommend the 746PRO for strictly home operation. NO digging through menus since all controls are on the front panel. The 746Pro also has an auto antenna tuner - a real plus.
N6BOB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:58 PM »

I have owned both about 3 years and use both daily. The IC-746 is a great home rig and is much easier to use if your plan to use most of the functions. The tuner is great too. The display is larger and though black and white works well out side for field day. The easy choice of filters is handy during contests or crowded band conditions... no digging into menus.
     The IC 7000 is a great rig for mobile or portable use where light weight and size are important but it is very easy to accidently bump the wrong button or knob and have the rig lock up or off in a menu or something and then have to pull over in the dark try to figure what happened. This happens to me on twisty roads and then I'm off the air until I can stop and really look at it.
     So, for a home rig I think you would be very happy with the IC-746 Pro. Yes, the 756 Pro III is even better but another $1000. I have used it too and I do think the rig is worth it but I just don't need that level of rig, but I love to operate my friends.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 04:51:51 AM »

I own both, and I've had them side by side. If you compare the numbers there are differences, and some may argue in favor of one or the other. But... in the real world, you almost can't tell them apart.

The biggest problem with the 7000 is the menu learning curve. Once you get that conquered, you almost don't have to look at the screen.

In a mobile setting, it is my personal opinion, that the 7000 beats every other miniaturized radio on the market, bar none (I've owned 5 including the 857 and 480Hx).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

PS: Both radios have the same robust set of CI-V commands, and you might be surprised at what you can use them for.

K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »

Yes, I've used both side by side.  I still have the 746PRO, and the 7000 is gone.   The PRO is much easier to use, more sensitive and a better rig in all respects, plus it LOOKS like a base transceiver and not a CB.   The 7000 is good for going mobile, the 746 PRO is the way to go for everything else.  By the way, I like the 746PRO display.  It's easy to see and bright.  Despite all the color and glitz, the 7000 display isn't that great.
HRO has a great deal going on the 746PRO right now.

Dwight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: