Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise level this evening  (Read 230 times)
NU0R

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »

I have had a solid S7 to S9 noise level on 40 meters this evening. It is just solid white noise. Is anyone else getting this or is it just me? I thought I would check before doing any antenna testing.  Thanks, Bruce
N1QOQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »

I have not been on 40 meters but the noise level can vary  day to day any band. Some times 6m is dead quiet other nights it's s9+.

73 Paul
KV6O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »

I am on 40 right now, had a nice QSO with Oregon - 20 over both ways (at ~ 1000W) and zero noise floor (S0). I am in Colorado Springs.

No problems here!

Steve
KV6O
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:44:18 AM »

Sounds like the antenna is working great, its picking up lots of noise! (disconnect antenna and verify you lose the noise).
You probably have a local noise problem.  Check during the day (will verify noise is local) and also around the house for possible noise sources.  The digital electronics of today are great noise producers.
Good Luck!

-Mike.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:51:51 AM »

I have noticed during the night sometimes the whole noise floor of the band will jump up about 15-20 dB but after a while the noise will subside. I attribute it to a solar condition and it generally passes quickly.

If you live in a suburban area you will be subject to all kinds of noise sources and there is not much you can do but relocated to the country. I grew up in suburbia and put up with the many noise sources for years. Upon moving to the county I found what a quiet HF location was like and I will never go back.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:12:24 AM »

In case y'all didn't notice (actually you heard the result) we were (may still be) in the middle of a minor solar event.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »

Plus 52 Sunspots and high K index.

73 de Lindy
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »

Several of us here in east central Florida have also been experiencing an unusually high level of atmospheric noise on HF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: