Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AEA PK-88 cable to HTX404 or IC-2AT  (Read 1144 times)
VE3SSQ

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »

Greetings all,

I just need pinouts to run from an AEA pk88 tnc to an HT such as the Icom IC-2at or the HTX404 (should be same as HTX202)
KB7WTO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »

I have the factory manual for the PK-88.  J2, an 8 pin connector on the PK-88 is wired as follows.

Pin 1  Ground          Brown (common for audio & PTT)
Pin 2  Mic. audio      White
Pin 3  PTT             Red
Pin 7  Squelch         Black   (optional)
Pin 8  Rec. Audio      Green

I hope this helps you, if not let me know.
kb7wto at msn.com  
VE3SSQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »

Hi,
that does help me out.  I'm still trying to remember the connections on the other end of the cable to the HT.  Tbhe HT's I have use no external ptt connection.  I did a cable for a baypac bp-2m back in 1997 but forgot the exact connections over the subsequent 11 years.  After all that time and 2 moves since then finding that info again is out of the question.
KB7WTO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »

The radio shack 202 and 404 are identical in the mic and spkr wire pin out.  The center pin of the mic jack normally goes direct to the mic electret condensor element.  The mic element would normally have a 2.2k ohm resistor across it.  The low side of the element goes to the PTT switch which in turn is connected to the ground, or return lead.  Connecting the TNC (PK-88) is simple using the mic and spkr jacks. You should couple the Mic through a .1ufd cap and the PTT through a 2.2k resistor, this should make everyone happy.  
Good luck!  
KB7WTO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »

I almost forgot!
Turn off the "power save" function on the radio when using on Packet, things will not work correctly when it is on.  This had me going nuts several years back when I used one.
VE3SSQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:23:32 PM »

Hi,
Sorry to bug you again but that was very unclear.  You said to couple the mic through a cap and ptt through resistor.  Couple them to what? ground? each other?  Sorry man but I got no schematic to go by here and no manual for the pk88.
KB7WTO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »

I think the company "BuxComm" makes the interface cable for around $20.00 complete with all needed connectors.  
The basic idea is the "audio" coming FROM the PK88 goes into the radio "Mic" connector.  The "audio" or spkr output of the radio goes INTO the PK88.  Now the microphone of the HTX202 shares the center pin of the mic plug with the push to talk line.  That is why you need to install a 2.2k resistor in the PTT line so that you are not shorting it out during a transmit cycle.  The .1ufd cap is used to decouple any DC voltage present on this line, although the PK88 may have one built in to do this.  Another larger cap may be used in series with the speaker connection for the same reason (decouple the DC).  This cap would be a 25ufd/35Volt.  
I wish I could draw a schematic here for you but this format does not allow that.
I found this, it may help.

Buxhamsales.com BUXCOMM Corporation 115 LUENBURG DRIVE EVINGTON, VIRGINIA 24550

5D20
Radio Shack Model HTX-202
and HTX 404 to RASCAL GLX
MFJ
PacComm
and AEA with 5 pin DIN Radio ports.
$19.95
5D20, Radio Shack Model HTX-202 , and HTX 404 to RASCAL GLX, MFJ, PacComm, and AEA with 5 pin DIN Radio ports.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: