Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-990 Problems  (Read 4517 times)
KI4FZY

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »

I need some help with a problem with my Yaesu FT-990 AC/DC transceiver.

On Thursday, i was operating CW on 30 meters. Things were getting slow and i decided to change bands. I pressed the button to take me to 17 meters and that is where the problem began.

The whole transceiver has locked up. The ONLY function that will work is the on and off switch. The display has gone completely off and no button commands will function. The "S" meter still lights up, but it does not function beyond that.

The Radio does make a weird noise however. It sounds like contunious dits on CW around 80wpm at the same tone that i have the internal CW keyer set at. Nothing that i can do will change this. The Volumne will not even work as well.

The radio has not been mobil or bounced or beaten around at all. I have had it for a little over a year now and have only had a problem with the tuning knob shaft freezing up. Other then that it has been a great rig. I have not opened it up and done any mods or anything that would have caused this. When i fixed the saft, that was over 2 1/2 months ago. In those months, i have used it almost every day and there have been no problems that i have noticed.

I have performed a soft reset on the rig, but that did not help. I have also left the rig disconnected from any power/antennas for over 24 hours and that has not helped. I always leave it off or disconnected from any power/ antennas when i am not using it.

I am pretty sure that RF did not get into it. I do run power on CW (Not on the WARC bands and only 700 watts to a dipole @ 80 feet or a beam @ 30 feet. Station RF Ground is a VERY GOOD ONE)

I would really like to hear from you if you have any information that would be of help or any tips.

Many Thanks in Advance and Gud DX!

James NN4JM
16 Year old Extra Class ham
HF DX'er since age 12
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »

Here's another case where you need to find an experienced local amateur who has the knowledge to trouble shoot the problem.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »

James--

Sorry to hear about your FT990.  While I don't have an answer for you, I'd suggest you head over to the Yaesu reflector at contesting.com and post your problem.  There's a ton of guys over there that might be able to give you some insight.

Good luck & 73

Frank, W1NK
K7STO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:25:36 PM »

I do not know if this will fix problem but you might turn the back up battery off for a minute or two. Then turn the battery back-up on. The switch is located inside the small cover panel on the top of the radio enclosure.

Mike
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »

Not familiar with the FT-990 or any recent vintage Yaesu rigs - but - can tell you that the CMOS chip on a computer motherboard can retain the setup info for extended periods without the battery installed. Yeah, they lose the real time clock within a few minutes and will prompt for date & time on the next boot, but as far as the rest of it... I've seen them retain a flaky setup for 20 hours or better with no power on anything.

Talk about a low power / low leakage device. Woof!

If the battery disable switch trick makes no difference after a few minutes off, try leaving it off for a day or two. Might also consider checking or replacing the battery if it's a lithium coin type item. Some devices run the CMOS strictly off the battery as a form of glitch protection and 3-5 years is a typical battery life in that configuration.

Never change a password on a Friday                
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 04:16:15 AM »

Hi James - The FT-990 is a great radio.  Replace that memory back-up battery if it hasn't been replaced in several years.  And along with the other suggestions here, email Yaesu support and describe the problem.  I had a problem that occurred on my FT-990 where the high bands all stopped working, and I just would get a blinking display.  I emailed Yaesu support and they siad this was due to an intermittant short problem, and they had a service bulletin out on it.  They emailed me the bulletin and I found and fixed the problem.

Good luck.

Phil - AD5X
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:39:31 AM »

First, verify the problem with just the rig and a dummy load connected.  Then try turning off the memory battery or do a reset.  Then check power supply voltages, etc getting to the set.
Good Luck!

-Mike.
N0PFE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:16:23 PM »

Hi James,

I have had my 990 since '92.  Fantastic rig and has served me well.  Last year it died on me with the display gone.  After letting it sit for a while I could power it up and it would come up but then 'reset', the memories would clear, and I would get functionality back.  After a few days of this it crashed and never came back; no display or control at all.

I sent it to Byron Campbell: http://www.HamRadioBug.com

He only fixes Yaesu rigs and is an expert on the 990.  Did a fantastic job on mine.  Here is what he found:
"...transceiver repaired plus alignment touch up of all critical sections to bring the unit up to OEM specs. Good news is that the CPU is OK. I did replace the CPU reset control transistor and timing capacitor. I also re-soldered the PC board plug-in edge connectors; CNTL-Unit (preventative measure.) The REG Unit board required some soldering rework to correct fracturing connections in the 5 volt regulator section. The memory battery looked new but its voltage had dropped below 3 VDC, so I replaced it with a new one. "

Hopefully the CPU is still ok as that it's very hard to find replaacements.  Don't send it to Yaesu service!

Good luck.
Bruce
N0PFE

W3FLH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 06:45:46 AM »

Bruce (N0PFE),

I checked Byron's site, and he lists the FT-990 specifically as one of the rigs he DOES NOT work on.  Did you contact him prior to sending it in, so he granted an "exception"?  I'd like to get mine serviced (some minor issues that annoy me), and am always keeping an ear open for a recommended tech.

de Tony, W3FLH
N0PFE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

Hi Tony,

Sure enough, he must have changed it since I had mine serviced last year.  I am betting it's due to the lack of replaceable CPUs.  There was another service but I'll have to dig that up.  I have not had any experience with any other repair places besides Byron and Yaesu and I refuse to go back to Yaesu service.  I'll try to dig up what I found from last year.

Bruce
N0PFE

N0PFE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 07:45:11 AM »

The message I got from Byron:

"...Due to lack of time and most importantly the very serous parts problem with the FT-990,  I have stopped taking them in, along with a good many other older Yaesu models.

These days my business focus is in supporting the FT-1000 series transceivers. For everything else, I'm referring to  Beltronics in NH. Last I looked, they
had 100% positive customer reviews up on eHam.net:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4028

http://www.beltronics.net/Amateur.htm

Too bad as I think he does great work.

-Bruce
N0PFE

KI4FZY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »

Friends,

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions. I have just finished performing a successful hard reset on the radio and it works just like new.

Many Many thanks.

73s,
James NN4JM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: