Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-820S  (Read 763 times)
KV4CN

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2002, 08:06:29 PM »

Our club received a TS-820S as a donation.  It's in good shape, but only white noise out of the speaker on receive.  The noise is the same with and without an antenna.  Any ideas?  Thanks. Dave, KV4CN
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 02:43:26 PM »

You didn't provide much information.

Do you have the instruction manual?

Was the bandswitch in a band position having an L.O. crystal actually installed?  Did you try switching to different bands?

Did you peak the DRIVE control, which also acts as a preselector on the receiver?

Is the RF GAIN turned up?

WB2WIK/6
KV4CN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 09:31:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have the manual.  Will have to purchase one.

Tried 80 to 10 meter bands - no difference.  The Drive control did not have any effect.  RF gain was full, AF gain was as high as I could stand. Loosening the antenna connector got a small pop from the speaker as I made and broke the outer ring connection.  Overall the radio is a 9 inside and out.  The radio did sit idle for approx 2 years.

Again, thanks.  Looks like a complex problem.  Will let the membership decide the next step ($$).
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 06:38:08 PM »

If the rig's in that good condx cosmetically, it's unlikely that anyone trashed it inside.  Your problem may be something as simple as a dirty T-R relay contact (and hopefully, it is something that simple)!

Have you tried transmitting?

WB2WIK/6
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 06:02:08 PM »

Before you throw in the towel... Is the external VFO dummy jumper plug installed in the external VFO connector at the rear of the radio?  Absent an external VFO, the RX is dead without that little dummy plug.  

73 - Luke
KV4CN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 07:21:54 PM »

Guys,
Thanks.
WB2WIK/6, I haven't tried to transmit, but did key the mike and heard the TR relay working.

Luke, nothing is plugged into the ext VFO socket.  That may be it.  Will try to locate the dummy plug.  It may (should) be at the donor's home.

Again thanks for all the help.
73, Dave, KV4CN
KV4CN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2002, 01:19:57 PM »

External VFO socket plug solved the problem.
Couldn't find the plug, but jumpered pins 8 & 9.
Receives just fine.
Thanks everyone for your time and effort.
73, Dave KV4CN
VE7CUC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2002, 10:45:43 PM »

That was excellent!!!  It really shows the power of the Internet for us helping each other.

I would like to see an addition to the forums for "fixes" or another appropiate title.

This one was really good as it showed the methology of solving the problem and ultimitely arriving at a solution.

It would save a lot of people a lot of time and headache if there were a separate forum containing the fixes and the lead up to the fix along with the actual original question.

A lot of questions on these forums never get answered, or we never see the answer.

Glen VE7CUC.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2002, 07:18:32 AM »

Dave -

You have 2 sources for a replacement VFO plug (when you are tired of the little jumper).

1.  The 9-pin plug is still available from Kenwood parts (look under the TS-520 or TS-920)

2.  RF Parts was carrying a plug that that should work .. their part number ACC-9 (fits a 9 pin minature tube socket) .. $ 1.45
Standard 9 pin plug to fit Japanese radio equipment. 1/2” diameter hold pattern fits common 9 pin miniature tube socket.  Cap unscrews to access solder terminals.

73 de w9gb
WB7OFC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2002, 10:42:39 AM »

Hi -

One more thing to check - make sure that the transverter switch on the back is off. That hung me up for about a week on mine before i figured it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: