Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: they only come out at night  (Read 223 times)
KI4VWS

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »

Here is my situation. I’m new to HF. I live in a restricted community where transmission antennas are not allowed. Here’s what’s been tried, Tak-tenna and an Alpha-Delta DX-EE 40m in the attic space. I’m driving them with an Icom 718 and an LDG 200Pro. It is not working out at all. This weekend I hope to resonate the antennas, maybe that will help but I don’t think it will. There‘s just to much stuff in the attic space, air handler, duct work, 14-2, 12-2, and so on. So here’s what I’m thinking, drive a 1 ¾ “ x 6’ galvanized pipe into the ground leaving about 18” above ground. What I am trying to come with is a quick connect/disconnect method to deploy a Hustler 4BTV after dark. I don’t have much room for radials and they would have to be buried, I’m on the 5th fairway of a golf course so they must be concealed. By the way we are dealing with south Florida soil. I was also planning on driving a 10’ ground rod next to the galvanized post and bonding them together. Back to the radials, I might be able to squeeze about 15’ max in an east to west direction, (30’ total) from what I understand a minimum of 8 will be required, these would be attached to the 6’ galvanized post. Please keep in mind that I am not a wiz kid or a rocket scientist and math was not my best subject but on the other hand I do have some common sense and the ability to Macgyver. The quick connect/disconnect  may be a challenge or something as simple as a 2” diameter x 12” pipe fastened to the base of the 4BTV and just dropping  it onto the 1 ¾” post then attach the coax and the ground and it’s ready to go. Another item I have to consider is the aluminum screen enclosure on the back of the house, it’s 21’wide x 10’ deep with an aluminum roof. The antenna might be 10’ to 12” away from the enclosure. What impact will it have? I think this is my last best chance. Any thoughts?
K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »

Hello from Reno Nv.. Try using a screwdriver antenna, not tuner needed and you can hide it with trees or lattce work boards.. iam also in a hoa but because of prb1 law here in nv. i got the hoa to allow me to put up a steppir dipole antenna and i also use a screwdriver antenna ground mounted with radials..works great...73 and good luck...bob k7rnv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: