Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Hams hate the contest bands?  (Read 3775 times)
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »

I like rag chewing but I like contesting even more.
I don´t like people shouting on air trying to make a point. The same goes for people that use capital letters to make their point, it´s the same as shouting in my opinion.
I agree that some contesters should be more considerate to other hams needs. But what about the thousands of contester that already do?
Don´t judge al contesters because some of them misbehave.

73, Maarten
PD2R
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 08:33:52 AM »

I'm a contester, not a rabid one, but a contester none the less.  So it shouldn't be surprising that I don't hate contesters per se.  

OTOH, I don't like jerks.  I don't care if it's some bozzo yelling, "59 Cook County," on top of the international calling frequency for Scouting's Jamboree on the Air or the full-legal-limit rag chewers who come up on top of an ongoing QSO and demand that "their frequency" be cleared.  I don't like jerks.

I've been seeing a bumper sticker lately that reads, "Choose Civility."  That would go a long way toward cleaning up 75 m.
W6TH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »

I, myself do not hate contests, but surprises me to some extent that why has ham radio turned into a child's play, these contests are only for the immature folks that are very much into video games as well.

Some people seem to never grow up and reach their peak of mentality at the age of eleven or twelve. That is how I now judge these folks that seem to do nothing for ham radio except to work these foolish contests.

No wonder ham radio is now called a hobby.
Ham radio was a means to acquire an attitude to fully accomplish being something useful.

I bet most contesters are still sucking their thumb while operating the radio.

.:
W6TH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »

I, myself do not hate contests, but surprises me to some extent that why has ham radio turned into a child's play, these contests are only for the immature folks that are very much into video games as well.

Some people seem to never grow up and reach their peak of mentality at the age of eleven or twelve. That is how I now judge these folks that seem to do nothing for ham radio except to work these foolish contests.

Ham radio was a means to acquire an attitude to fully accomplish being something useful.

I bet most contesters are still sucking their thumb while operating the radio.

.:

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »

I'm sure glad I posted this question. I found out that a lot of hams think contesting is a very immature form of communication if you can call it that.  Bill
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »

The only problem I have with contest is the calling of CQ and not giving time to answer hos CQ.  Some of us need more than 3 seconds to answer, especially during noisy band conditions.
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »

The only problem I have with contest is the calling of CQ and not giving time to answer his CQ.  Some of us need more than 3 seconds to answer, especially during noisy band conditions.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »

Well at age 60 I find it amusing to be called a gamer by an "older" ham.  Same said fellow also call me immature, foolish and childish, with nothing better to do thqan annoy him. Well excuse me for breathing, my friend.

I do some modest contesting and I find it  enjoyable. I also find it an excellent test of my equipment, computers, personal stamnia, and ability to function under preasure.

I am a member of one of the better contesting clubs and also enjoy the company of these folks at our monthly meeting.  I feel privledged to be a member of the Northern California Contest Club.  Imagine little old me in there with folks who are doctors, lawyers, sections heads with the ARRL, Ham authors and other all around Nice guys. I think perhaps I find this the most energetic and interesting group of hams I have had the opportunity to enjoy.  I do like a good contest now and then. and if you are in a contest you know how to set up your radio to make those bands behave.

On Phone I narrow the bandwith of my reciever to 1600 cycles or so, and raise the pass band tuning up 400 or 500 cycles so I am listening to a segment of voice from 500 to 2100 cycles which  make the voice stand out and  the folks on the sides dissappear.  

On CW I can get as narrow as 100 cycles so no crowd there.  and turn the voulme to max and control it with rf gain and your AGVC will function much more effectivly.  little tricks that help.  

It also helps to have a good radio.  I have a ts 2000, a 746 pro, a pegasus, an ft 857, an ft 847, and an orion.  I pretty much only use the orion for contesting.  it works for me.

I also enjoy a little Dxing and most times I can pick up a new country or two in a contest, which also makes me happy. So I find contests to be a real pleasure.once I started to play.  try holding a run frequency in the crowded bands, or working an ESP contact for a multiplier, or cooking your amp at legal limit on 160 for 15 hours in a row.  it will quickly show the weakness in your station. so I find the contests a good excersize in high speed information handling, and a fun way to spend the day.

did you ever notice how much the bands open during a contest, or perhaps its just no one used the bands befor the contests.  Most folks I know are polite  operqators, and want the casual contact as bad as those from another contester.  pleas jump in and say hi if you hear me on.   I will return the hi, with a 59 and number 517 to boot.  73 and gud dx my friends.

to quote a pervious comment.

"

I bet most contesters are still sucking their thumb while operating the radio. "

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »

PS..  

I would rather hear cq test on the air, than some of the garbage being passed on portions of 75m.. ya know what I mean Vern??
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »

Maybe you've hit on a solution - run a contest on 75M phone EVERY evening.
W6OP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »

I am not a contester and I don't excuse the contesters who cover nets like the maritime net. However, I am a Dxer and I always find a few new ones during the contest.

For those that complain they are on every day, well don't you think you could give up a few days each year for someone else, no need to be selfish. While there is probably at least one contest every weekend there are only about 4 or 5 that cover the whole band here in the USA. So if you can't talk to your buddy half a dozen weekends out of 52 weekends I don't see the problem. If you can't give up 12 days out of 365 you should be seeing someone about your addiction problem. In fact you really are only talking about 20m, 80m and 160m. I have my radio scanning 15 meters and up all day everyday and there is very little activity.

Pete W6OP
KE6AEE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »

I dont enjoy contest weekends either, but contesters have the same right to enjoy Ham Radio as the rag chewers.  Personally I think It's more a contest of who has the money to afford the high end radios, amps, antennas, loging programs, cw and voice macros which does most of the work anyway.  If they were really honest nobody would always be giving a 59 report, funny how it works our that way.  Having said that, thats their right.  How about a compromise and lets say contesters can only use the lower portion of the CW or SSB parts of the bands and the rag chewers can have the rest.

Richard
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 06:04:12 PM »

"How about a compromise and lets say contesters can only use the lower portion of the CW or SSB parts of the bands and the rag chewers can have the rest. "

There's no good reason for that.  On a contest weekend, there are enough contesters who want to use the band to fill it.

They should share nicely.  Bad ones don't.  But you can't expect them to leave empty frequencies unused.

Sometimes that means there's a contester on a net frequency before it starts.  Break in, give them some points, and ask them if you can use their frequency to run your usual net.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 08:27:35 PM »

To me, its like pulling into a public parking lot, and getting mad at someone because they have parked a vehicle you don't like in the parking space you like to park in.

Of course, you don't want to go to another part of the parking lot where there are empty spaces, or go to another level of the parking lot!

Bob
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »

I have noticed that the old Eleven meter band (CB) is pretty quite these days, Let's put all these stupid  CONTESTERS on the CB bands and let-R-RIP !!

That is what they sound like anyway, so why not make use of the old CB bands before we "Loose the Frequencies"

73's
Gary - W5GNB

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: