Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will ICOM be coming out with the 756PRO4?  (Read 734 times)
KC8CXZ

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »

Does anyone have any info on a possible 'Pro4' or some other named successor and price range for the 'Pro3'?

How does the Pro3 compare to the FT-2000?  Which has the better receiver?

73, Jim
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:42:51 AM »

The IC-7700 would be a better choice to upgrade to ... within Icom's line.

According to Sherwood Engineering (among the most reputable independent sources of such ratings) the PRO3 receiver is far better than the FT-2000:

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

However, neither of these radios is really anything to write home about.  They are adequate.  Some people appear to prefer the physical appearance of Yaesu radios, and don't much care about performance.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »

In case you hadn't noticed, Icom is switching their model numbers to four digits. I suspect, that what ever replaces the 756 series will be more like the 7700 and 7800 with roofing filters.

If you believe some of the rumors floating around, the 7000 will have a roofing filter soon, but whether it will still be called a 7000 remains to be seen.

Just guessing perhaps, but in the not too far distant future, you'll see radios with touch screens for a lot of the major controls, especially set and forget ones.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »

Best receiver... for sideband, CW, or "other"?
I doubt Icom will call it that, I would assume another name.  But there will be something in that price range.  Now when the introduce it is unknown.
Sounds like you like Icom.  The 756 is a nice rig!
73s.

-Mike.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »

This subject has been covered many times here in the forum.

I have used both and I believe the DSP in much more refined in the Pro-III. Neither radios have roofing filters other than the basic general roofing filter. The FT-2000 has some physical roofing filters but nobody has been able to discern the difference between the 6 KHz and the 3 KHz filter in performance. And that is why I said they basically have only a broad roofing filter.

The Pro-III is a nice size and I think ICOM should stick with the basic unit: My wish list is for the following:

•   Mic and keyer jacks on the back.

•   TFT display output on the rear.

•   A satellite board for two extra plug in roofing filters. Note the 64 MHz IF makes narrow filters very expensive. It may be better to do it with new DSP firmware and software.

•   USB port for computer operation.

•   Take the second receiver and split the audios to a left and right head phone jack.

•   Lower distortion on the receive audio. Like .1% at 5 watts output.

•   A separate contest playback switch so auto CQ’s can be played from a single switch closure both on the front panel and remotely.

•   Get ride of the DIN connectors and use DB 9 or DB 15 types.

•   Higher keying current and voltage of the linear output keying.

•   8 band EQ for the receiver and transmitter audios.

•   Back lit buttons.

That my list and I’m sticking to it.
WD6S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »

I can just about guarantee an announcement within a few weeks. I just bought a brand new one at the end of March!
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »

Simple answer,"NO" ICOM will NOT be coming out with a 756 PROIIII(PRO4)!The 756 series will end with the last 756 PROIII whenever that is!Write it down so you know I said so in the future! }:>) It's just time to move on with a NEW number series so just buy a PROIII & be HAPPY!

Clayton
W4KVW
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »

K3
W8KQE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »

Don't know if a Pro4 is in the works, but I sure hope Icom will have a 'mid level' rig successor in the 756 price range when they decide to drop the line.  The next price range would be the IC-7700, which comes in at just over 6 grand!  Out of reach for most.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 01:22:25 PM »

Aside from what Sherwood says, I've chatted with several people that have had both the PROIII and FT-2000 and the PROIII is the winner.  If you're interested in looking at the spectrum scope, apparently the PROIII scope is much faster at retracing than the FT2000 scope available via the DMU unit.  As for Icom replacing the PROIII, it's only a matter of time.  I was going to replace the PROIII with the 7700, but have decided to wait and see what they replace the PROIII with down the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: