Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D-104 Microphone Results.  (Read 378 times)
KB3QMT

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:30:20 AM »

I'd like to say "thank you" to the patient Elmers who have responded to my questions.

I'd also like to report on the progress I have made, in case anyone else is interested.

I got an old D-104 Microphone because of what I remembered of them from the CB days of the 1970's.  Another reason was because I had wired my buddies D-107 microphone and it had worked (somewhat) for me.  The available budget weighed in as well.

Once I took possession of the D-104, reality raised it's ugly head.  The impedance was a total mismatch to my old Kenwood TS-820.  So I tore the guts out of the mic and just used the phone and the PTT switch; which seemed to work.

Later, I used N9WB's D-104 Project Revision 2 to modify the microphone.  I also put the 4.7K ohm resistor in series with the audio output, as he had suggested.

The results were great.  Everyone reported a very good sound.  There were two problems that still lingered, however.  One was the pot on the microphone didn't seem to have any impact on the output at all, and the other was that I couldn't use speech processing, nor could I turn the mic gain up on the radio much past "2."

Today I took apart the head again, and replaced the phone with the cartridge crystal one from Mouser that others had suggested.

Bingo.

The speech processing works great, and I can turn the mic gain up however I like.

Now I don't know enough about electronics to understand why the pot in the microphone amp doesn't do anything.  I also don't know whether the circuitry N9WB designed was meant to accomodate this new phone; but the results are fantastic.

I like the classic look, but most amazing to me is the sound quality.

If not for the help and suggestions from here, I'd probably still be struggling with the microphone.  

Thank you!
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:02:35 AM »

Glad to hear you got it working!
73s.

-Mike.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »

Your D-104 mic was a bad impedance mis-match for your Kenwood TS-820??  I never owned a Kenwood TS-820, but I own and frequently use a Kenwood TS-830S on SSB.  My D-104 (un-amplified) works perfectly with it. Are you sure you have your D-104 wired correctly?

Dick  AD4U
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »

I use a D-104 with the TUG8 base and never heard of this problem.  Only thing is that with the ICOM 746 you need to lower the drive to a minimum, but that is it.

Glad it is working.

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »

I use a D-104 with the TUG8 base and never heard of this problem.  Only thing is that with the ICOM 746 you need to lower the drive to a minimum, but that is it.

Glad it is working.

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »

Glad its working for you, but I'm surprised you had to modify it.  In the past I've used D-104's with both the amplified and straight base with a TS-520SE and a TS-440 and never had a problem or a bad audio report.  But if it works for you now, I'd leave it the heck alone.

Don, K2DC
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:48:33 PM »

Interesting to me as well. I have used my D-104 with a TS-430S and currently with a TS-50S with no problems. I did replace the element with a Heil HC-5 element which really works great. I also use the handheld D-104m6b with my IC706MKIIG in the mobile and no problems there either. I did a comparison test between the stock IC mike and the m6b and reports indicated that the m6b was better than the stock mike.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »

I think I have 3 of them hanging around here somplace. one with a phono plug one with a 4 pin  and I don't remember the 3rd.  I really don't like them all that much.  they were fun back in the day, but now I prefer boom mounted heil  dual element mics as the leave the desk free, and both hands free with vox engaged. About one 10 minute nrag chew and my fingers ae cramping from the squeeze ( I hate the lock down ring) and it is also heavy. They can sound good on the air. Thats what is great about this hobby, every one can do it their way..
KJ4CGI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »

I run a D-104 with a TS-820S.  I did however modify the mic.  I just bypassed the amplifier section in the mic base altogether.  It works beautifully, and it doesn't require batteries Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: